I drew region G with 0 points and don't know anything

bgipson

FNG
Thanks for the summary! I just got out of those same mountains from 10 days of chasing those backcountry bucks. I put on more miles and feet of elevation gain than I care to figure and I'm sore as hell from packing out 3 deer. These mountains really are a heaven/hell scenario with how rugged and incredibly beautiful the country is and I can't wait to start the cycle (scout, prep, hunt) again next summer.

As a side note, I will say a clean miss is better than a crappy hit. My dad's buck was hit in the back right leg below the gut so he was moving awful slow being a tripod with that useless leg swinging. My dad wouldn't have necessarily shot him otherwise but it was the right thing to do since he wasn't going to survive til winter.

OP
[insertspecies]Slayer
Yeah I agree about the clean miss thing, but looking back it's like "I wasn't even close?" but hey I guess I have plenty of lifetime to improve

OP
[insertspecies]Slayer
I was reminiscing about this thread and the memories, and noticed I never wrapped it up. I never got back up there, so never killed a buck. That's okay though, I think it's better that way. An older relative of mine who has hunted up there a bunch back in the day said all the fun would be ruined if I killed a giant deer so young in life. I think he was right.

I've been trying to keep tabs on the region since I got so heavily invested last year, but haven't noticed anyone talking about the opener. I was wondering if any residents have any input, and I'm also sure there is NR guys who drew this year that have read this thread. It seems the idea was that the biggest mature deer would survive the winter and the real affects would be downstream in a few years.

Or maybe everyone decided it was time to stop talking about the most popular mule deer herd in the world. Oh and there was that giant deer with the huge dropper on the winter range. Anyone know what happens to him? He might've been in a different region actually, not to sure. But even if you PM'd me, I'm curious what the hunting has been like.

bgipson

FNG
I was reminiscing about this thread and the memories, and noticed I never wrapped it up. I never got back up there, so never killed a buck. That's okay though, I think it's better that way. An older relative of mine who has hunted up there a bunch back in the day said all the fun would be ruined if I killed a giant deer so young in life. I think he was right.

I've been trying to keep tabs on the region since I got so heavily invested last year, but haven't noticed anyone talking about the opener. I was wondering if any residents have any input, and I'm also sure there is NR guys who drew this year that have read this thread. It seems the idea was that the biggest mature deer would survive the winter and the real affects would be downstream in a few years.

Or maybe everyone decided it was time to stop talking about the most popular mule deer herd in the world. Oh and there was that giant deer with the huge dropper on the winter range. Anyone know what happens to him? He might've been in a different region actually, not to sure. But even if you PM'd me, I'm curious what the hunting has been like.
The herd took like an 80% hit this winter so not much to talk about. The oldest and youngest all died.