Hybrid Tent

400orBust

FNG
I'm in the market for a larger than backpack but smaller than car size tent. Basically an ATV tent. I'm in an area that is ATV/motorcycle accessible and want a bigger than backpack tent. I'm considering the SO Courthouse or a Snowtrekker canvas tent.

My question is: does anyone make a hybrid tent that combines the lighter weight of nylon or with the breathability of canvas? I would think a lighter weight canvas (like is used in Flexbow tents) for the roof combined with silnylon walls would be a great combo. I love canvas tents but the weight for this application is alot. I like synthetic tents for the low weight but hate the condensation.

Thanks.

mlgc20

WKR
Maybe a Courthouse with the liner? I have a liner in my Redcliff. It does an amazing job helping manage condensation. That would keep weight and bulk down compared to canvas. Just a thought.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm in the market for a larger than backpack but smaller than car size tent. Basically an ATV tent. I'm in an area that is ATV/motorcycle accessible and want a bigger than backpack tent. I'm considering the SO Courthouse or a Snowtrekker canvas tent.

My question is: does anyone make a hybrid tent that combines the lighter weight of nylon or with the breathability of canvas? I would think a lighter weight canvas (like is used in Flexbow tents) for the roof combined with silnylon walls would be a great combo. I love canvas tents but the weight for this application is alot. I like synthetic tents for the low weight but hate the condensation.

Thanks.

Beau Beatty just released his lt weight canvas tent, 10x10 &13x13. 25-35# I believe. So def not backpack option, but doable atv/truck camp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EdP

WKR
The pole system needed with a canvas tent make it impractical for use when travelling via ATV. I have never had any condensation issue with a proper double wall synthetic tent (no mesh). A nice big dome tent rated for 4 seasons may meet your needs.

OP

400orBust

FNG
Thank you all for the responses. Unless Beau Beatty's tent fits the bill it sounds like a courthouse with the liner is the direction I'll go.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi

Kevin from SO here .. sort of the horses mouth I guess.

A liner, and really good lightweight high tenacity nylon is simply lighter than any single item that is breathable , and a lot lighter than the lightest canvasses. It costs a bit more labor, but in reality it is the lightest most foolproof options. The courthouse with liner is pretty light and attached as a whole it sets up really well .

sndmn11

WKR
My courthouse WITH some wall poles I rigged up WITH a 15oz vinyl floor all fits in the bag the courthouse comes in, which is about the size of a square couch pillow.

So much better than any of the dozen wall tents I have had. Even better? I throw it on some patio furniture outside when I get home and it is dried out in an hour with a little sun and a breeze. One of the best things I have bought for outdoors time.

OP

400orBust

FNG
Thanks Kevin & sndmn11. I know the SO tents are light which is awesome but nothing compares to canvas for comfort...but it is heavy. I just need to decide if the extra 9-ish pounds and some bulk are worth it for my application. I still think a hybrid tent with a 5-6 ounce canvas roof and nylon walls might be a great compromise.

How do these nylon tents do with embers from the woodstove?

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks Kevin & sndmn11. I know the SO tents are light which is awesome but nothing compares to canvas for comfort...but it is heavy. I just need to decide if the extra 9-ish pounds and some bulk are worth it for my application. I still think a hybrid tent with a 5-6 ounce canvas roof and nylon walls might be a great compromise.

How do these nylon tents do with embers from the woodstove?

I have zero burn holes in my tents, but I never got any in my canvas tents either.