Hybrid Backpacking/Hunting Pack

JStol5

WKR
Looking to merge packs for a do-it-all setup. I have a MR Sawtooth 45 and I feel like I can’t get more than 1 night out of it. Looking at getting a bigger pack, either a SG Solo or Sky 5900. Anyone have experience using either of these as a day pack that also works well for a few nights? Leaning towards the 5900 but wanted to get some ideas from users. With the compressibility of SG stuff I feel like going bigger won’t hurt, and would give me more versatility down the road. Thanks.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
SG stuff compresses extremely well. Two possible cons are 1. Anything compressed will compromise function, regardless of brand. Especially when starting with a bigger bag 5000+ci. 2. If you are a 24” frame then the SG might feel too tall in day mode as they’re a 26” frame.

Personally I’ve used a SG 6900 overnight and day use. In day mode it was pretty strappy to get into. Currently using a kuiu 4000 which doesn’t compress as well (even being smaller) but functions better for me getting into the pockets and pack. I don’t foresee myself doing more than two nights at time but if that was the case I’d pick up an expedition sized bag and keep the 4000 for everything else.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
SG stuff compresses extremely well. Two possible cons are 1. Anything compressed will compromise function, regardless of brand. Especially when starting with a bigger bag 5000+ci. 2. If you are a 24” frame then the SG might feel too tall in day mode as they’re a 26” frame.

Personally I’ve used a SG 6900 overnight and day use. In day mode it was pretty strappy to get into. Currently using a kuiu 4000 which doesn’t compress as well (even being smaller) but functions better for me getting into the pockets and pack. I don’t foresee myself doing more than two nights at time but if that was the case I’d pick up an expedition sized bag and keep the 4000 for everything else.
Thank you- a solo might be a better option for now (not doing more than 2 nights) and then pick up a bigger bag down the road to throw on the same frame.

Kifaru, Exo and SG (I have all 3) all compress very well for use as day pack. Tony made a valid point, when compressed down, it can make it challenging to operate zippers, access pockets, etc. On my Kifaru and Exo packs, when compressed, anything I might need immediately, will usually fit in the lid, while the puffy, raincoat, etc. still fit in the main bag or under the lid. On the SG, I use a SG Access Bag for keeping the quick access items in.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good advice above, you can get quite a bit of stuff in a lid and some belt pockets.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Thank you guys- maybe a solo with hip pockets and a lid would be a good move. 5900 comes with the lid already which is nice..

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Good advice above, you can get quite a bit of stuff in a lid and some belt pockets.
Going to pick up a Solo with some hip pockets for now, might add a lid later. I think you're right- a 5900 might be a lot for primarily day hunting and a few 1-2 night trips per year. If I extend trips down the road I'll pick up a 5900 bag and throw it on the frame. Thanks for the advice

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Going to pick up a Solo with some hip pockets for now, might add a lid later. I think you're right- a 5900 might be a lot for primarily day hunting and a few 1-2 night trips per year. If I extend trips down the road I'll pick up a 5900 bag and throw it on the frame. Thanks for the advice
It’s definitely something everyone has to feel out for themselves. Also see if SG still makes the access bag, it’s like a lid but for the back instead of the top.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
It’s definitely something everyone has to feel out for themselves. Also see if SG still makes the access bag, it’s like a lid but for the back instead of the top.
They do. It adds 900 ci to the bag, but I'd be more inclined to put a lid on first. I was leaning 5900 before this but saw your comment and tried to get realistic with myself about how many trips above 2 nights I'd be doing (which is not that much). Solo with a lid and hip pockets can probably get me 3 nights no problem.

I have an SG 5900 that i use for day hikes and anything under 5 days (I use an SG 7900 for anything longer). The 5900 makes for a great daypack because you can remove the lid, and cinch the top down. If it just a day trip, I only use the vertical zipper pocket and keep the main pocket cinched shut or maybe put some rain gear/layers in the min horseshoe zipper pocket.

If you're generally happy with the Sawtooth, but just need more room at times, why not just pick up a Beartooth 80 bag only. It's the Sawtooth, only bigger. If you watch for sales, you can catch one for well under $300.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Just pulled the trigger on a Solo and some hip pockets. Thanks ya'll.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Good call on the Solo. I have that bag and use it basically exactly as you described. Tons of day trips each year with a few 1-2 nighters sprinkled throughout. I've used combinations of hip pockets, a lid, and a load cell to extend my range as needed. Enjoy the pack!

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Good call on the Solo. I have that bag and use it basically exactly as you described. Tons of day trips each year with a few 1-2 nighters sprinkled throughout. I've used combinations of hip pockets, a lid, and a load cell to extend my range as needed. Enjoy the pack!
Great to hear- I really wanted to avoid buying too much pack. I’ll throw on a lid need be. Pricey but I’m going to make this my do it all bag.. for a ton of day trips and a few 1-2 night things, I think it’s gonna be perfect.