Hurricane Fiona and driving to Newfoundland

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Well, Planning on driving up to Deer Lake area for Moose hunt starting next saturday. And, this happens:

Sounds like a decent chance the Ferry is down for a while. Trying to put together contingency plans to drive up.

Has anyone driven the Québec-Labrador Highway and crossed at that Ferry on Québec Route 389? I'm picking my Uncle up in Upstate New York so going through Quebec adds 1000+ miles to the trip. The road sounds a bit rough with sections unpaved. Drive time from Upstate NY to Deer Lake is showing as 40hrs right now. Is that accurate?

I am driving my 2013 Toyota Tundra 4WD up.

Would appreciate any info from someone that's driven this route from the north easter US.

Anyone else going there or coming home having issues?

Last edited:

PA Hunter

WKR
Well, Planning on driving up to Deer Lake area for Moose hunt starting next saturday. And, this happens:

Sounds like a decent chance the Ferry is down for a while. Trying to put together contingency plans to drive up.

Has anyone driven the Québec-Labrador Highway and crossed at that Ferry on Québec Route 389? I'm picking my Uncle up in Upstate New York so going through Quebec adds 1000+ miles to the trip. The road sounds a bit rough with sections unpaved. Drive time from Upstate NY to Deer Lake is showing as 40hrs right now. Is that accurate?

I am driving my 2013 Toyota Tundra 4WD up.

Would appreciate any info from someone that's driven this route from the north easter US.

Anyone else going there or coming home having issues?
Driving up Thursday from PA to Deer Lake planning on my regular route North Sydney ferry on 30th. Already had 2 years of cancellations with China virus crap. If they turn me around I'm back in 2 years again anyway.

I’m not looking forward to this one. 2018 storm wiped us off map. Then China flu. I’m ready for a break.

Attachments

• BCAB0AC5-2402-488C-BFC1-DEC359F56064.jpeg
    BCAB0AC5-2402-488C-BFC1-DEC359F56064.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 15

mzldr2

FNG
Fiona caused us a 1 week delay...supposed to be there hunting today!. Driving up Friday to North Sydney for Oct 1 Ferry. Ferry's started running with normal schedules yesterday afternoon.

bgbuck153

Lil-Rokslider
We are about to board the ferry now as I write this. Gas was a giant issue. About 3 1/2 hours prior to the ferry was last gas. Everything was without power or had no gas and pumps that had it had HUGE lines . We had 100 miles left to empty and I pulled over and started calling places we had already passed. Found gas 87 miles back. Just made it in time as gas stations started running out of gas in that little town. Bring a couple jugs just in case. The drive to the ferry was smooth. Boarder crossing took 1 hour. 1 of us has to do a random Covid test with in 24 hours. I’d say the last hour prior to the ferry had no power as of 2 hours ago. We couldn’t see much destruction due to it being dark.

Not sure about Canada, and perhaps to little too late, but I had to drive up east coast during the pipeline hack and gas buddy app (i think) was pretty darn accurate on who stations the had gas and those which didn’t. Even if the app was wrong, it would show enclaves of stations off beaten path that had it.

OP
Novahunter

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
We are about to board the ferry now as I write this. Gas was a giant issue. About 3 1/2 hours prior to the ferry was last gas. Everything was without power or had no gas and pumps that had it had HUGE lines . We had 100 miles left to empty and I pulled over and started calling places we had already passed. Found gas 87 miles back. Just made it in time as gas stations started running out of gas in that little town. Bring a couple jugs just in case. The drive to the ferry was smooth. Boarder crossing took 1 hour. 1 of us has to do a random Covid test with in 24 hours. I’d say the last hour prior to the ferry had no power as of 2 hours ago. We couldn’t see much destruction due to it being dark.

That's good info. I'm bringing one gas can. Ferry has regs that won't allow more than 1 can if gas. Not sure if they'll allow exceptions due to the storm. Hope there is gas on the other side for you.

Which border crossing did you go through, if you don't mind me asking?

bgbuck153

Lil-Rokslider
Near milltown but we used the commercial one and we were the only ones. This was at 5:30am

Gas is on the other side.

Girl at the gas station said she hasn’t been allowed home since the storm hit to check on her home. (Newfoundland town side). It’s closed off. The cabin on the ferry is strictly for sleeping purposes only as it’s tiny. Comfy beds.

PA Hunter

WKR
Just made it to North Sidney ferry from PA. No problems at all with fuel everything open along the way. Cant even tell a storm came through.

Power just came on in port town 30 min ago. Restaurants were open on generators anyway.