Hunting Windy Days

WYO_ATL

Lil-Rokslider
Out of all the podcasts I have listened to over the years, one thing that never comes up is hunting during the wind. I live in SE Wyoming, the wind blows every day it seems. I just looked up the forecast for next week, when I’ll be hunting and the gusts every day are ranging anywhere from 22-45 mph. How do you guys go about hunting heavy wind days?
Glassing is not an option where I will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legend

WKR
A consistent wind can be great. Keep the wind in your face and still hunt bedding areas all day.

One time i walked up to 10yards of a sleeping bull on a windy day. Just a raghorn so I took pictures.

If it is switching direction stay in camp and catch up on chores and sleep.

Last edited:

Ram94

WKR
A consistent wind can be great. Keep the wind at your back and still hunt bedding areas all day.

One time i walked up to 10yards of a sleeping bull on a windy day. Just a raghorn so I took pictures.

Wind In your face*

go_deep

WKR
I live in SE Wyoming also, honestly the wind doesn't bug me or change how I hunt for the most part.

OP
W

WYO_ATL

Lil-Rokslider
A consistent wind can be great. Keep the wind at your back and still hunt bedding areas all day.

It’s never a consistent wind, always changing directions. Staying in camp isn’t an option. I have 8 days to hunt. Every day is forecasted for gusts over 20.

OP
W

WYO_ATL

Lil-Rokslider
I live in SE Wyoming also, honestly the wind doesn't bug me or change how I hunt for the most part.

So, if you can’t hear anything because of wind, and you can’t glass because of timber, what are you doing? Just walking around hoping you see something before it sees you? Or do you just sit and hope something wanders by?

I’ve had some very productive days when the wind blows. My tactic is simple. Find the fringes of bedding areas which can be 500 yards or more, make sure I’m in a place where the sound will travel far and wide echoing as it goes, and break out the Carltons Long Ranger calling when the wind intermittently subsides. It requires mucho patience and sitting from sun up to sundown. Not many can handle it but if you aren’t going anywhere anyways, what do you have to lose? Oh and I blow it thru the tube.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
If the wind is consistent it can ok, still not ideal. If it's erratic and you're set on hunting, find some topography for a more consistent upslope. Windy conditions is tough...

go_deep

WKR
So, if you can’t hear anything because of wind, and you can’t glass because of timber, what are you doing? Just walking around hoping you see something before it sees you? Or do you just sit and hope something wanders by?

I don't know why you couldn't glass?
I don't need to hear, I just need to see.
Wind levels the playing field, I can't hear, they can't hear. Lots of under brush blowing and moving around, so it covers my movement too.

OP
W

WYO_ATL

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know why you couldn't glass?
I don't need to hear, I just need to see.
Wind levels the playing field, I can't hear, they can't hear. Lots of under brush blowing and moving around, so it covers my movement too.

Because where I hunt is timber. I wouldn’t even need to bring binos for where I hunt