Hunting pants

Mauro2022

FNG
I’m in the market for a pair of pants that can withstand the continuous use in brushy country (Oregon coast) archery season August-September without having to break the bank. Also, thinking of getting merino layers to use in the same environment. So many options out there that is overwhelming. For the base layer I’m thinking something not too heavy. Thank you for your comments.

sufishent

FNG
Maybe the same pants will hold up to the Mexico desert? I am from North Coast and just went to Mexico for Coues deer and none of my gear held up against all the thorns! Thinking of wearing Tin pants next time...:)

You can usually get Kuiu Attack pants for a reasonable price when they go on sale. Tough to beat in my opinion.

KID

FNG
Kuiu pants are pretty hard to beat I have a few different models, their tough quiet and waterproof. Fit to size, worth the money

Honyock

WKR
Kuiu Attack, Kuiu zip off base layer bottoms and gaiters. Zip off base layer bottoms will change your life. Good gaiters will protect your lower legs and pants from thorns, etc.

slowelk

WKR
I hunt rough terrain. AZ is a good test for pants every year…

Fjallraven Vidda Pro Ventilated and don’t look back.

Response to OP: The Fjallraven keb would be better for the earlier part of the year, and be just about as durable as anyone would need.

@mxgsfmdpx The description of the Vidda pro ventiled says that the ventilated version has a slimmer fit than the non-ventilated. Have you found that to be the case?

My kebs are on the edge of being too slim for my taste, but they only work because they stretch.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Response to OP: The Fjallraven keb would be better for the earlier part of the year, and be just about as durable as anyone would need.

@mxgsfmdpx The description of the Vidda pro ventiled says that the ventilated version has a slimmer fit than the non-ventilated. Have you found that to be the case?

My kebs are on the edge of being too slim for my taste, but they only work because they stretch.
I don't think they are any slimmer. They fit true to size for me, I'd recommend the long fit version if you are even close to being on the tall side. The Vidda pro ventilated version have some stretch where you need it due to the "ventilated" stretch material in crotch and inner thigh. Only time they feel a touch restrictive is when I wear my knee pads in them (most of the time); and that is only when high stepping full stretch up boulders. Usually have to slide the knee pad up a bit to make a step like that.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
OP, to everyone recommending Kuiu attacks... Seen multiple pairs of those get shredded where we hunt Coues in AZ (unless they are road hunters). Anyone I've been with that takes them into the canyon limestone/brush/cactus/ they do not hold up. Not really sure why they keep being recommended over some of the others mentioned in here. They are great all around pants for the woods and mountains, not for busting cactus in the south.

Bluesky

FNG
There's some nasty brush in South TX as well. I found that my legs and pants were beat up by thorns and burrs while walking when I wore my more "comfortable" hot weather hiking pants like Pranas or the stretchy wranglers everyone loves. My Kryptek Alaios did slightly better but I'll just suck it up, go less comfortable and more old fashioned and just wear carharts next time. Cathart has come a long way.

A hunting buddy had a pair of these and, dang I was jealous at how well they worked for him.

yfarm

WKR
There's some nasty brush in South TX as well. I found that my legs and pants were beat up by thorns and burrs while walking when I wore my more "comfortable" hot weather hiking pants like Pranas or the stretchy wranglers everyone loves. My Kryptek Alaios did slightly better but I'll just suck it up, go less comfortable and more old fashioned and just wear carharts next time. Cathart has come a long way.

A hunting buddy had a pair of these and, dang I was jealous at how well they worked for him.

For south Tx brush I wear my snake boots with a pr of lightweight nylon chaps cut off just below the knee like chinks. No reason to double up with the snake boots, allows air to circulate. Wear the wranglers underneath. Unfortunately not quiet, thinking about making a pr out of ultrasuede which would be quiet,leather is too hot. Spot and stalk Nilgai hunting.

Stickmark

FNG
Yes, in parts of Arizona, comfortable, lightweight hot weather synthetic pants are good for about one year. The Fjallraven Vidda concept of reinforced knees, high poly %, seems on track.

(The plant know as "catsclaw" is aptly named. On a scouting trip in the Mazatal Mountains, catsclaw did a number on my pranas, and on my 3D ASAT leafy pants, at times. Lots of small tears on Pranas. If OP's landscape is similar, lighter weight pants will not be multi year, I venture.)

JRS3

FNG
I have these three.

Kuiu Katanas are my favorite all purpose pants and I prefer them over Attacks when I need a pair for wearing in brush. I really like the First Lite Sawbuck for thick stuff that scratches or grabs. After shredding a pair of FL Guide Pants on a WY MD hunt, I switched to the Sawbuck and have had no issues with the pants getting ripped. They can hold heat and are not great for warm weather but are nice pants. For some brush, Kutanas but for more abusive situations , the Sawbucks.

JCOREGON

FNG
I’m in the market for a pair of pants that can withstand the continuous use in brushy country (Oregon coast) archery season August-September without having to break the bank. Also, thinking of getting merino layers to use in the same environment. So many options out there that is overwhelming. For the base layer I’m thinking something not too heavy. Thank you for your comments.
I like kuiu attack pants in all but the hottest and coldest weather.

I like kuiu attack pants in all but the hottest and coldest weather.

These recommendations, plus zipped vents and 4 zipped pockets have convinced me to try the Attack pants.

Why any company would produce a hunting or camping pant without several zip pockets is a mystery to me. Vents are a nice option, but secure pockets are a requirement for me. Can't afford to lose anything when miles away from civilization, and especially since I am solo 99% of the time.