Hunting packs

Cwsharer

FNG
Mountain ridge gear makes cool paniers if you are talking about that type of thing

Back in the 70s I was packing gold bearing gravel to a water source for processing. I had a set of canvas panniers made with three straps and leather ends. The rare canvas panniers I see at Murdocks have canvas ends which are fine for developed trails but if you are prone to cross-country travel in the jungles, you might want to beef things up a bit. If you can't do that yourself then I think a saddle maker should be approached. Kalispel or Columbia falls are good targets. My last ones I had built were in Missoula. I don't know if they even exist anymore. I do most of my own construction with a side of 10 oz latigo and a sewing awl. Tandy leather is my friend.

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is a blast from the past, but any chance you have a picture of these things? They sound like a pretty good piece of kit.

Back in the 70s I was packing gold bearing gravel to a water source for processing. I had a set of canvas panniers made with three straps and leather ends. The rare canvas panniers I see at Murdocks have canvas ends which are fine for developed trails but if you are prone to cross-country travel in the jungles, you might want to beef things up a bit. If you can't do that yourself then I think a saddle maker should be approached. Kalispel or Columbia falls are good targets. My last ones I had built were in Missoula. I don't know if they even exist anymore. I do most of my own construction with a side of 10 oz latigo and a sewing awl. Tandy leather is my friend.

Most of the panniers are set up for decker pack saddles. When I bought mine they had left hooks and right hooks. I think all of them are for both side but one direction.

Murdocks has a set in Butte for about $350. However they don't have leather ends and are a little lighter canvas. Mine are 25 inches wide and have a third strap in the middle for balancing the load. This weekend I had a Stihl 170 chainsaw in each one with a small can of gas and bar oil in each pannier. On top fit coats, gloves, lunch and whatever we needed. Easy on - easy off.

They also fit a hind quarter of elk plus climbing spurs, ropes, block and tackle and whatever else you might need.

Attachments

• 5A0ECC27-1A96-4BF0-997F-87A4FEBDE18F.jpeg
    5A0ECC27-1A96-4BF0-997F-87A4FEBDE18F.jpeg
    642.1 KB · Views: 25

bmart2622

WKR
My favorite are the ones that TrailHead Supply used to make. Super durable and the straps help to lift the load rather then just secure the top like most panniers. I hate Decker hooks and never use them

yfarm

WKR
Was not familiar with Decker hooks, have just lifted the pannier via the leather straps over the hoops. Seems like one more thing to align while lifting a heavy bag. Care to describe why and why not?

Last edited:
I have used the hooks at the same adjustment since 1974. I found them much handier to load. I pick up the loaded pannier and push it against decker rings. Then I can hook the hooks on the rings with one hand. Without them I would have to set the buckle on the rings. Hard to do by yourself. The middle strap helps balance the load - especially with grain and gravel.

Without the panniers you have to mannie every load and then hitch them in place. I use wooden panniers occasionally with mixed loads . Match the tools to the tasks.

bmart2622

WKR
Plus the pannier hangs lower with decker hooks, plus they come loose from the decker d's when the pannier isnt loaded. Hang the panniers and then load them, problem solved

Only problem with that is balancing the weight between them. I have found with bulky but light it doesn't matter.

With heavy loads I adjust for distance. I can go heavier for shorter distances but lighten them up for longer distances. That also depends on the horse I have them on.

Often I have my kitchen on one horse and all the rest of the camp items in the panniers. Makes traveling very easy.

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
I have run Trail Max in the past. Held up good, work well, and dont break the bank for a yearly trip..