Hunting near wildfires - How close is too close?

trekinit

FNG
Have an Idaho hunt in 9 days. As we all know, ID has quite a few fires burning right now. My spot I've been scouting and planning on hunting is about 10 miles as the crow flies from the closest fire. Air quality is not terrible, but I'm concerned about the fire making moves towards us during the days we are there. No closures in the area currently, but who knows.

How close is too close for you all?
Do you just watch wind direction and if it's blowing the opposite direction go for it?

MattB

WKR
It depends on the size of the fire, predicted wind direction, and how far you plan to go in/how easy it is to get out/escape options. One season is not worth putting yourself and perhaps others (first responders) in danger.

OP
T

trekinit

FNG
It depends on the size of the fire, predicted wind direction, and how far you plan to go in/how easy it is to get out/escape options. One season is not worth putting yourself and perhaps others (first responders) in danger.
Fires are about 300 acres, very little containment, and predicted wind direction doesn't really blow our way.
Escape options are limited, as we will be pretty far in.
I'll keep monitoring and adjust my plan accordingly...

BigDog00

WKR
10 miles is pretty far off. Do you have cell service where you're going? Are you hunting from the truck or packing in? If so, I'd just monitor Inciweb while you're out if you have service. If not, it may be worth talking to the local park ranger and letting them know where you're planning on going in and for how long. Maybe even touch base with them if your plans change. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Use some common sense and you'll be fine.

Reliability of communications (ex: cell coverage) would be paramount as well as ease of egress if things go south quickly.

CorbLand

WKR
If you have the ability to communicate and someone can keep on eye things, I would go for it. Just know that you may have to get out quick and don't take anything that cant be replaced. 10 miles is a decent distance but shit has and can turn pretty quick.

10 miles is pretty far, especially if the prevailing wind is blowing in the opposite direction. As others have said, as long as you have a way to keep an eye on fire conditions while you’re out there, I would personally still go for it.

We had some pretty serious wildfires earlier this year while I was hunting turkeys. I was more concerned about the air quality ruining my hunt than being burned over.

Northern Idaho, 10 miles will be alright unless there’s a wind event. I did watch a fire run a couple miles a few days ago during a critical fire day so anything could happen.

jimh406

WKR
Consider your escape path and what is between you (fuel, water) and the fires. I’d consider the normal wind direction, but that is no guarantee if a front comes in. Fires in forests can move very quickly.

Fires can move 10 miles in less than an hour.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Bring extra water, extra fuel, and good wire cutters and bolt cutters (in case you need to cut fences or cross private land to survive). A bit overkill but something I always had in the truck when we used to live in super fire prone area of Northern California. Had to use them once to access an aqueduct road that was our only escape route.

Consider your escape path and what is between you (fuel, water) and the fires. I’d consider the normal wind direction, but that is no guarantee if a front comes in. Fires in forests can move very quickly.

Fires can move 10 miles in less than an hour.
This is what I take into account beforehand as well.

The unit in Idaho I'm heading to on Sunday has a pretty significant fire going on. Now I need to work on a couple of alternative hunt plans for the opposite side of the unit.

Hopefully they get it under control quickly.

KHNC

WKR
You will definitely want to wear a mask at all times, even when you are sleeping. Only safe way to enter a state like Idaho.