Hunting in Hawaii

Hunt2Eat

FNG
So I was able to talk my wife into letting me get away for a day of hunting during our vacation to Maui at the end of January into the beginning of Feb. I was surprised to find out how cheap a hunting license is for non-residents (roughly $100) and that it allows you to hunt feral hog, feral goat, feral sheep, and axis deer.

Anyone out there done any hunting on the island and willing to share some info?

2ski

WKR
I had a guide for the road to Hana that hunts a lot. Kione. Quite the character. I didn't go out hunting. But he talked alot about it. We saw goats past Hana in the desert area or whatever it is. Or you could go past Oprah's coming from the other direction. Killing a hog with a knife would be sweet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OR Archer

WKR
I was there in June. Not a ton of public land there to hunt. There's a bit up on Haleakala. If you can find some private land it would be your best bet at killing an animal. Axis deer is by far the best wild game meat there is so stack a few up if you have the chance.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
I really want to hunt Moulton diy there one day.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

OP
H

Hunt2Eat

FNG
I was there in June. Not a ton of public land there to hunt. There's a bit up on Haleakala. If you can find some private land it would be your best bet at killing an animal. Axis deer is by far the best wild game meat there is so stack a few up if you have the chance.
Any tips on getting in contact with some locals prior to my trip?

Any tips on getting in contact with some locals prior to my trip?

unfortunately all the good hunting on maui is on private land. theres public land goats and pigs on haleakala in the poli poli area but the road up there can close if theres been a big storm so check before you go. goats are year round and pigs are only allowed on weekends starting in february and i think most are in a rifle area (have to wear orange and gets some rifle pressure). if you are on facebook look up 808 bowhunters and start a thread that you wanted to see if soemone would take you hunting in january. thats as good as I can do i live maui but hunt lanai theres easier access over there and its loaded with deer

Last edited:

kodiakfly

WKR
Land access if your biggest hurdle. There's plenty of outfitters and guides that offer 2-3 or even one day hunts. Just hire one and go shoot a deer. My Wife and I went on our honeymoon and brought three deer back to Kodiak on a two day hunt.

Attachments

• axis.jpg
    axis.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 73

2ski

WKR
You know Bojangles talked about Lanai. I don't know how much you've looked into Maui and what you're going to do other than hunting. But it's not Lanai is that far away. You could try there. Just the ferry over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
I lived on Oahu for a few years & hunted axis deer (best venison IMO) on Molokai.

I agree that for a one day hunt on Maui, hire a guide with access to private ground.

Edit - Jan-Feb could be a hurdle with rain. I would ask questions about where you will be hunting as I would stay on the leeward side to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk