Hunter attacked by dogs

Gotta have your hand out in front between you and the dog. When they go to bite, drive your fist into their tonsils.

Did that to a Great Dane that was a known biter. First time he came at me I got him good. Second time he came at me pensively. Got him good again. There wasn't a third time, he knew I was the alpha.

Got it. No use if they already have a hold of someone, though.

If the Great Dane was a known biter, why did you let him near you?

P

Got it. No use if they already have a hold of someone, though.

If the Great Dane was a known biter, why did you let him near you?

P
A family member was pet sitting. Asked if could come fix a faucet. Dog had been chill around me before but was nervous when owner wasn't there.

Bear spray is an incredible weapon in situations like this. My wife and I were walking on our country road about 1/4 mile from our house with our 2 youngest kids. I'd just gotten a fresh can of bear spray for an upcoming elk hunt into marginal grizzly country, and I decided to carry it instead of my normal carry 9mm. A guy was jogging down the other side of the road with a pit bull on a leash. The dog yanked the leash out of his hand so fast that he fell face-first on the road. It ran directly to my 5 year old daughter, teeth bared and hackles up growling. I instinctively got in front of her and doused the dogs face, head, and neck with bear spray. I've never heard a dog make those noises, sounded like a pig being gutted alive. The owner took a bit to get off the ground, he was scraped up and bleeding from his fall. The dog disappeared into a potato field. I offered to help the guy with his injuries, but he declined angrily and went looking for his dog. I reported the incident to the Sheriff's dept. They located the pit about 1 mile from where I sprayed it, and they dispatched it when it attacked a deputy.
Bear spray works really well on mean dogs, just pay attention to the wind.
On a side note, bear spray also works incredibly well on spracked out meth heads trying to get in your patio door at 2:15 AM. Gives law enforcement a good laugh when they're hosing a meth head off in your driveway with a garden hose before they load em in a patrol car.

mi650

WKR
I'll second this wrap-around method - it's taught in certain circles as what to do if a dog latches on. On a related note, when I was a kid I also saw a really crusty old desert-rat of a coyote hunter/trapper kill a 'yote in a similar manner, as part of a two-step method of killing a trapped animal without shooting it. It's worth sharing for defense reasons as well.

When he came up to the animal in one of his leg traps he used a hardwood dowel or handle of some kind, and would swing hard right down on the bridge of the coyote's nose, 1-4 inches back from the actual tip. There are so many nerves in a canine right there that the impact caused the coyotes to go from snarling and snapping, to seized up rigid like they were having a seizure. Stiff and vibrating but unconscious. Then he'd straddle them from behind, put one forearm on the back of the neck at the base of the skull, then grab onto the coyote's nose/muzzle with the other and wrench it back, leveraging the skull/neck against the forearm. There was an audible snap-pop, and dead coyote. It was absolutely gruesome, but unarguably deadly.

For me, the most instructive part was actually the muzzle strike. Instant KO. Dogs in a fight can take an enormous amount of bodily punishment without letting go, but that nose strike is the off-button.
IDK about hitting them in the nose. I'm sure I've posted the story before, but I hit one of my Mastiffs in the nose several times. There was no quitting in him. And FTR, I don't recommend fighting a 200 lb. dog.

aqm9pkw.jpg

p66ESeE.jpg

ymIkIX9.jpg

Even with this happening, I'm very surprised by the chart earlier showing that Mastiffs are that liable to attack. They really are big babies.

I see the breed known to be a "misunderstood good boy" by white women volunteering at animal shelters everywhere seems to have struck again.

MattB

WKR
@HappyHuntr, a thread you may want to read:

H

HappyHuntr

@HappyHuntr, a thread you may want to read:

As much as i appreciate your thoughts, the dog is 12, very old and an absolute sweetheart now. He went through 4 months of intense aggresion training and is seemingly all good.

RockAndSage

Lil-Rokslider
IDK about hitting them in the nose. I'm sure I've posted the story before, but I hit one of my Mastiffs in the nose several times. There was no quitting in him. And FTR, I don't recommend fighting a 200 lb. dog.

aqm9pkw.jpg

p66ESeE.jpg

ymIkIX9.jpg

Even with this happening, I'm very surprised by the chart earlier showing that Mastiffs are that liable to attack. They really are big babies.

Man, that's rough. Regarding the nose strike, I'm not sure a fist on the tip would necessarily do it. All I can say really is that a hardwood stick along the top of the nose anywhere from about 1-4 inches from the top was just a lights-out KO.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
I generally fall into the camp that most of the time the problem is with the owner. Some breeds get reported more often since they can do more damage, but I've also seen plenty of little dogs that bite.

We have dogs and are very active in training them and are vigilant with the dogs while walking, but you have to constantly pay attention. We've had a few incidents with other peoples dogs coming after ours.

Once in a campground a 100+ lbs boxer or bully type dog snapped its chain and went after one of mine as we walked down the road. The aggressive dogs family just sat there in shock. I spun my dog around in a circle and snatched the bully off the ground by the scruff, and their dog just kind of looked at me like he couldn't believe I did that.
It seemed like I saw that dog coming for 30 seconds while I was deciding to draw and put it down in front of their kids, but instead decided to grab it. My wife was there and said it was really only a second or two before it was on us. There were probably 30-40 people that saw all the commotion. It was the right decision at that point in time since it worked out the way it did, but it could have turned out much worse all the way around.

Not to fuel the fire more but this is happened a couple of miles from where we lived at the time:
Cane Corso attack

HaydenB

Lil-Rokslider
Several posts back the conversation was directed towards pit bulls.

My two cents.

Down here in Texas we do a lot of hog hunting with dogs. I’ve owned more pit bulls than I can even remember. Some of them you couldn’t trust and some of them slept in my house.

The same thing went for some of my bay dogs. Some of them didn’t want to be touched or messed with while others wanted to ride in the pickup with you.

Idk if I would personally say all pits are bad. I think some are some ain't and I’ve had my share of both. It all depends on the dog IMO.

Heck one dog named Django got aggressive with me a couple times and I kept him. He was just really good at his job and I didn’t want to get rid of him.

However I will say this if any dog threatens any one, especially women and children. I will not hesitate to shoot him where he stands. I’ve seen me do it.