Hubba vs xmid

Lamb

FNG
Looking to purchase a solid 1p xmid or the 1p hubba hubba.
Looking for advise. Needs to be lightweight and pack small due to the amount of water i have to pack in early season. Xmid wins both there but for a small weight penalty the hubba is free standing and people rave about how bomb proof they are. Xmid is $290 if i want it shipped in dec. With my discount the hubba is $307 plus tax.

Next biggest concern is ability to pitch in tight spots. Initally went to a tarp and bivy becuase of this but i hate it.

Appreciate any thoughts on these two tents.

Thanks.

ljalberta

WKR
I have no experience with the Xmid. I do have a 1p Hubba that is the 2014 gen tent. I love that tent, and asides from some tears in the floor (I don’t use a footprint normally) and replacing the shock cord, it’s going strong.

That being said, I had picked up the brand new gen of Hubba this year. I opened it up, promptly got a bunch of carbon splinters from the poles, and returned it. I don’t know if the QC was off on mine, but I’ve never held such roughly finished carbon poles in my life. I was not particularly impressed. Even the end cuts didn’t look clean.

OP
L

Lamb

FNG
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the older gen tents are the bomb proof ones. I wonder if anyone else has had the same experience.

Cheers.

I have had both and a few copper spurs.
I sent the copper spurs back as they were to fragle for me and had zipper issues.Had one of the first batch x mid and sold it due to no trips planed that use trekking poles for a few years.
And also being so used to my old eureka that was free standing.I used a free standing for 20 years with one door and I really like that setup.Can always go bigger or lighter but I settled on a hubba 1.I like it because of one door and freestanding.I have a hubba 1 with solid walls and one with mesh walls,i have a aluminum pole set and a extra light weight set thats custom made,i can’t remember the vendor.Its a good tent that’s fairly strong and simple.Takes up very little space.Could you save a 1/2 -1lb yes but i will have mine setup drinking a stiff drink by the time you get the others setup.90 times out of 100 i use one stake only.Msr has great CS.
I will get another xmid because it was probably the best quality tent i have had,i just dont like the poles and the staking out.
Hope that helps

Ram94

WKR
No experience with the hubba but I do have a xmid. So far it is my favourite tent having owned a Kifaru Tut and still have a Hille Nallo 3gt. Durston is also selling carbon poles if the trekking pole thing isn’t for you and you can set it up with just 4 stakes if weather is mild.

ljalberta

WKR
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the older gen tents are the bomb proof ones. I wonder if anyone else has had the same experience.

Cheers.
I wouldn’t classify the Hubba series as bomb proof, but I certainly think it’s punches above its weight class. The poles aren’t designed for a punishing storm or snow though. That being said, I was caught in a wicked hailstorm with some howling wind this year that was putting some serious bend in my poles. Nothing snapped or ripped off, so I was one heck of a happy camper.

OP
L

Lamb

FNG
Thanks for the input gents. Gives me a bunch more to consider. Appreciate it.