HPG Qui-Ya

Rob762

FNG
Hey y’all, this season I ran an Outdoorsman’s Palisade 90, and while it has been a great pack for pretty decent distance elk packouts in Montana, I’m thinking about selling it for an HPG Qui-Ya on the fact that I do a lot more off season hiking and backpacking than I packing out elk. The more streamlined layout appeals to me.
My question is for people who own the Qui-Ya, how is it for packing out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westslopelaker

Lil-Rokslider
The Qui-ya is a fantastic backpack for packing heavy loads. I have used one for the past 4 years and its the most comfortable backpack I've ever used. It's kinda on the heavy side but it's bombproof and handles weight really well. I recommend it if you are looking for a do it all pack.

I don’t have the Qui-ya but I have the decker and it is very comfortable with 3-4 days worth of gear (most i’ve had in it). I imagine the Qui-ya with the taller frame would be even more comfortable.

CCH

WKR
They will definitely carry all the weight you want and are very comfortable, perhaps not as hunting centric as some packs, but a great pack.

FWIW for a long time the Hill brothers were saying that their internal frame packs wouldn't be their first choice for a meat hauler - they prefer the old Dana Design externals. Now that their pack line is more developed they might have changed their tune a bit.

tater

WKR
The Qui-ya carries similarly to the old Arc-teryx Bora packs. Because the stays are not stabilized horizontally there is a slight tendency for the pack to barrel a bit if its not packed properly.

I have a first gen that is my truck pack, and while its not my primary hunting pack any more i wouldn't hesitate to press it back into full service.

The craftsmanship is amazing. The harness system is great (takes a bit to dial in) and it makes a good all around pack if you keep the load 100lbs and under.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m thinking about selling it for an HPG Qui-Ya on the fact that I do a lot more off season hiking and backpacking than I packing out elk. The more streamlined layout appeals to me.
My question is for people who own the Qui-Ya, how is it for packing out?

It’s ok. The Qui-ya is a comfortable pack with about 60’ish pound or a bit more in it. It has a good harness system that takes some fiddling to get correct- for some people, quite a bit of fiddling. It’s a bit strappy, and as long as you are ok with no pockets or internal way to organize, it fine. However, for that use it’s heavier than others that fill the same niche while also carrying more weight comfortably.

wilbur007

FNG
I like my Qui-Ya as a traditional backpacking pack. It took a little work to get the stays fitted to my spine but the folks at HPG are happy to help with that process. It carries better than anything I've ever used before and has my highest recommendation.