Hoyt Defiant limb splinter sanded- how important is the glue?

FishTacos

FNG
What kind of glue would you use once your bow splinters and you sand it down? I've seen superglue kicked around as an option, but there are other glues that are more flexible for use on arrows/fletchings etc. Another option would be to use no glue at all, though I'm not sure if thats better or worse. I'll get the limb replaced as I don't feel great about shooting it, but I don't have a back up bow so this is what i've got to work with for now.

Hopefully I didn't sand too much structure away, I tried to do the bare minimum to get below any visible damage and into smooth carbon:

IMG_20200610_200416.jpg

Northpark

WKR
Me personally I just wouldn’t shoot it. If you feel like you really want to shoot before replacing the limb I’d look at some of the marine grade epoxies as some are built to flex with the hull.

OP
F

FishTacos

FNG
Yea, I havent brought myself to shoot it. Lots of time before the season starts to just get reset, so i will probably just get the limbs replaced and get it dialed back in

MattB

WKR
It looks like you cleaned it up pretty well. I've only used super glue right at the point where I cut off/sanded the splinter. If there isn't a rough spot to glue, I would just shoot it.

jmez

WKR
I don't even sand or glue. I just snap them off and keep shooting.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

npm352

WKR
I would not shoot it. That is a lot of pressure and that stuff would not feel good in an eyeball.

I am kind of a wussy though.

Jethro

WKR
I’ve never put any glue on that type of splintering and continued to shoot the bow until it was time to change strings. Then had the shop put on new limb covered under warranty

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in a similar boat but the splintering isn't as bad. Looking for suggestions on glue. I don't want to spent a bunch of money on some epoxy where I need 2 drops of it.
Does gorilla glue gel flex?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
F

FishTacos

FNG
I'm in a similar boat but the splintering isn't as bad. Looking for suggestions on glue. I don't want to spent a bunch of money on some epoxy where I need 2 drops of it.
Does gorilla glue gel flex?
The end result is awesome, the bow is shooting great - I used ordinary (cheap) superglue. If you sand it down well, that solves most of the issue with it splintering further. The glue helps a little bit but sanding away the damage does most of the repair based on what i'm seeing.

It's held up quite well, which Im happy to report

Pramo

WKR
I've had to sand and glue a few limb splinters on my hoyts and never had an issue. I always carefully sanded to get things smooth then put on whatever fletching glue I had lying around

I have had this happen twice. Someone told me to sand and super glue. Both times I checked with the shop I bought it from. I offered to buy new limbs, but Hoyt replaced them both time free of charge.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthEastID