Howa 1500, tikka, or custom

Brucebarker024

Lil-Rokslider
In a bit of a conundrum. Read for a custom or semi custom rifle. 7 SAUM is gonna be the chamber.

I have a Howa 1500 in 300wm in a BC stock (probably upgrade to a McMillan with this). It shoots great, but the barrel is thin and isn’t threaded. Thinking of putting a carbon tube, fluting the bolt, and having the action shaved down to be as light as possible. Everyone who owns a Howa knows it’s a heavy boi.

My other choice is build off a Tikka LA in a mesa stock, proof prefit, and new trigger

Third and final choice is use Front range precisions short action “builders kit”. SA zermatt origin, proof prefit, AG composite stock, bottom metal and a brake.

My curiosity is if the custom action is that much of an improvement over just off of something I already have. Obviously not too concerned with the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
If someone has their heart set on a full custom then they will likely never be happy with anything short of that but I'd venture to guess 99% of all shooters can not shoot the difference between a good semi custom and a full custom. I have three full customs one built on a BAT HRPIC, Kelbly, and Stiller. All three are beautiful rifles and shoot extremely well but I also have many semi customs built on trued Rem 700's and I certainly can't shoot the difference between the two.

An argument can be equally made for both semi custom and full custom builds. All my Rem 700 based builds have been trued but that is all they've had done to them and they all shoot better than I'm capable of shooting. Tikka's seem to be somewhat taking the place of Rem 700's for semi custom builds and though I'm relatively new to owning Tikka's I would have no problem turning one in to a semi custom. For what it's worth, if you go Tikka build before you completely replace the trigger just replace the pull rate spring and see if that gets you the trigger you're looking for. I recently replaced the spring, I think they were $10 each, in my two Tikka's and that alone turned them in to a very acceptable trigger. If I recall I have them set at right around 2lbs maybe just a tick shy of that and could have gone lighter if I wanted too.

OP
B

Brucebarker024

Lil-Rokslider
If someone has their heart set on a full custom then they will likely never be happy with anything short of that but I'd venture to guess 99% of all shooters can not shoot the difference between a good semi custom and a full custom. I have three full customs one built on a BAT HRPIC, Kelbly, and Stiller. All three are beautiful rifles and shoot extremely well but I also have many semi customs built on trued Rem 700's and I certainly can't shoot the difference between the two.

An argument can be equally made for both semi custom and full custom builds. All my Rem 700 based builds have been trued but that is all they've had done to them and they all shoot better than I'm capable of shooting. Tikka's seem to be somewhat taking the place of Rem 700's for semi custom builds and though I'm relatively new to owning Tikka's I would have no problem turning one in to a semi custom. For what it's worth, if you go Tikka build before you completely replace the trigger just replace the pull rate spring and see if that gets you the trigger you're looking for. I recently replaced the spring, I think they were $10 each, in my two Tikka's and that alone turned them in to a very acceptable trigger. If I recall I have them set at right around 2lbs maybe just a tick shy of that and could have gone lighter if I wanted too.

I imagine I cannot shoot the difference between a semi custom and a full custom either. If a rifle is capable of producing sub-minute groups I can shoot sub minute. My Howa with a tuned handload regularly produces sub 3/4 groups.

As for the tikka I just pieced together a 6.5x284 for my dad off a tikka platform. It shoots great, feels nice in the hand, and really leaves nothing to be desired. If the difference between a tikka and a “cheap” custom action, such as the origin, is marginal then I don’t really see the point. The total cost between the two would be within 300 dollars all said and done. If I don’t have to pay a gunsmith to remove the tikka barrel. We did with my dads. Then the cost is again, marginal.

NV HUNTER

WKR
I built 2 semi custom rifles off of a vanguard/howa action. McMillan stock, carbon barrel. Turned out great , and both shoot 1/2 inch. Stockys sells a carbon stock, I would go that way. Have fun and start as soon as you can afford the parts.

BCBRAD

FNG
If it is a semi-custom, look Tikka over. Buy a long action as this will give you more flexibility in your hand loads.
The Tikka action does not need any truing or blue printing, just get a good gunsmith to chamber and install a good barrel.
Tikka has a very good aftermarket as well.

I will recommend the Tikka as well. Since they only make one action length, I think that they make great non-custom platforms for those chamberings that need an intermediate length action, such as the SAUM. There are kits out there that can convert the bolt stop to short or long, so no matter what you start with, you can build pretty much anything.
In this case, having a longer action will allow you to seat heavier bullets out a bit.
Add to that the Tikka’s excellent trigger and superb tolerances, and you have a platform that is ready to go without having to “true it up”, unlike the Remington.

B23

WKR
The only draw back to going Tikka build VS Rem 700 is stock selection and availability. Rem 700's have wayyyy more options with regard to stock selection.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Could I make a tikka into a 300 wby?
Essentially no. Tikka "LA" mag is only 3.35" COAL allowance, 300 wby mag looks like about 3.6" COAL SAAMI dimension so even factory ammo won't load in a Tikka mag, and in my personal experience unless things have changed none of the bottom metals and AICS conversions work properly on a Tikka action.

The only draw back to going Tikka build VS Rem 700 is stock selection and availability. Rem 700's have wayyyy more options with regard to stock selection.

That isn't really the case anymore. Almost all of the chassis manufacturers and all of the custom stock makers have a Tikka offering. Plus, with the way that the Tikka recoil lug works, and the tight tolerances on their actions, there really is no need to bed the action in order to improve accuracy like you sometimes have to do with Remingtons.
Add to that the fact that Tikka doesn't have primary extraction issues and you can swap out bolt handles without having to braze a new one on or have it machined to accept threaded knobs and it continues to be a no-brainer to use a Tikka for a semi-custom rifle.

B23

WKR
That isn't really the case anymore. Almost all of the chassis manufacturers and all of the custom stock makers have a Tikka offering.
With all due respect, the stock offerings for Rem 700's or those with 700 footprint is substantially greater than what's available for Tikka's.

SouthPaw

WKR
I just went through this. I went the tikka route for my 7saum, with the proof prefit and mesa stock on a long action donor. Pretty easily found a load with the 195 berger and it hammers. If you've already got a tikka LA with magnum bolt I'd go for it.

Last edited:
With all due respect, the stock offerings for Rem 700's or those with 700 footprint is substantially greater than what's available for Tikka's.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. As I said before, McMillan, Manners, Grayboe, Mesa Precision, AG Composite, MDT, XLS, and more offer all of their stocks inletted for Tikka actions. The only maker that I know of that doesn't offer a Tikka option is HS Precision and phuck those guys anyway. I don't include them in my stock conversations because they don't deserve my money. All-in-all, I wouldn't call that "substantially greater".

I will give you that most of those manufacturers have Remington 700 footprint offerings on the shelf ready to ship more than they do for Tikkas, but that doesn't mean they don't make them.

In a bit of a conundrum. Read for a custom or semi custom rifle. 7 SAUM is gonna be the chamber.

I have a Howa 1500 in 300wm in a BC stock (probably upgrade to a McMillan with this). It shoots great, but the barrel is thin and isn’t threaded. Thinking of putting a carbon tube, fluting the bolt, and having the action shaved down to be as light as possible. Everyone who owns a Howa knows it’s a heavy boi.

My other choice is build off a Tikka LA in a mesa stock, proof prefit, and new trigger

Third and final choice is use Front range precisions short action “builders kit”. SA zermatt origin, proof prefit, AG composite stock, bottom metal and a brake.

My curiosity is if the custom action is that much of an improvement over just off of something I already have. Obviously not too concerned with the price.

have you seen Howa's new carbon options? looks pretty tough to beat for the dough as long as they shoot like a Howa, which i assume they would

tp308

Lil-Rokslider
I recently bought a Howa 1500 .308 stainless and put a HS Precision stock on it (basically it’s a Randy Newberg model). Fired it the first time last weekend, not the lightest rig but it soaks up recoil better than any .30 caliber rifle I’ve shot. Looking fwd to seeing what loads it likes the best!

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patw