How well does past season sign translate to this season?

bradywk

FNG
Hey guys,

Fairly new elk hunter. I have been putting in a ton of time scouting this summer, and found a few areas with a ridiculous amount of sign. I mean rubs everywhere.

It seems like this area has sign from multiple years, old & new rubs. My question is, how does this sign translate to archery season? I'm in Colorado, and the area wasn't super high. Maybe around 9k feet. Who would be hunting this? Or should I just focus on glassing & go where the elk are?

Bearshirt

FNG
Check it and if there is fresh sign this year hunt it. I have found areas with old sign and no new. The area I hunt has depended on water since the area has been in a drought. Some years its been wetter then others so they will be in there then. Food, water, & cover.

SteveinMN

FNG
It's always good finding good sign that seems to span multiple years. It means you've found a spot that the critters really like. The problem is knowing generally when they are making that sign. Is it during archery season, or in August or not till rifle? Given the relatively low elevation I'd be concerned that they may not be moving in there till after archery is over...unless that elevation is relatively high for your unit.

If I were you I'd certainly swing through there early in my hunt to look for fresh sign. If there isn't any, look at where they're likely summering and head that direction till you pick them up.

Could be weather dependent migration. Could be hunting pressure. Could be a ton of other variables.

BUT.....IF I see the same fresh sign, in the same general area year after year, I'm inclined to think I'm on to something.

That's high enough - I probably am right around that elevation and sometimes a tad lower for deer and elk here on the Front Range. The Elk don't watch the youtube videos so they won't stay confined to super high elevations. Mountain climates vary so find cool spots and sign and you'll find game. I live around 8300 ft and there is an elk herd that roams my neighborhood. I drive up to the public land to actually go hunt but that is not much above 10k although sometimes I'll go up higher...but you don't need to in order to find deer & elk. If you stay lower then try to stay on the north facing slopes as they will be alot cooler and that makes a huge difference. I think staying on the north facing slopes and in the draws where it's cooler is why I have good luck finding game down lower. You wander the south facing slopes and you will be a lot hotter and find antlers/sheds instead of finding game. You wander the south facing slopes for shed hunting when that season opens. Hope that all helps you out.

Good Luck!