How to find meat haulers

Hi. Just wondering if anybody had any advise on how to find someone to hire to haul elk meat in my area. I've packed out a bunch of animals on my own over the years. But if I draw this utah elk tag this year I really don't want to limit myself on where I can hunt. Thanks.

CodyAK

Lil-Rokslider
it’s been a while since they had the M4M sections on Craigslist.

All joking aside, I’d reach out to work acquaintances or start being active with hunting/outdoor groups to network and make connections. Splitting your harvest is the way to go and that’s what I do.

Worth while reading;

If you're hunting public, like BLM or National Forest, only licensed outfitters can be used. The forests typically public lists of their licensed outfitters. You can search them up and reach out.

11boo

WKR
If you're hunting public, like BLM or National Forest, only licensed outfitters can be used. The forests typically public lists of their licensed outfitters. You can search them up and reach out.
This is true.
if there are any cattle about, it would not hurt to find the cowboy who is probably around and be nice to him.

From my experience in the different states I have hunted, this is nearly impossible.

Typically, they have to be a licensed guide/outfitter to pack meat. They are really busy guiding clients, and or doing drop camps.

During the hunting season, it’s really tuff to find one that isn’t too busy. Call the outfitters in your area now, and ask. Most when I have asked just so no, they will be to busy.

Once in a great while, you might get a maybe.

Out of all the maybes I have ever got, my buddy and I got 2 bulls packed out one time. We got really lucky the outfitter wasn’t busy, and happened to not be to far away from our trailhead when we texted. He said if we could get the two bulls packed to a certain spot on a trail by 8am the next morning he could be there. We did our part, and he did his worked out great.

Every other time an outfitter said “maybe”, we either got the bull packed out, and never heard back, or had it packed out by the time they were able to get back to us.

If you get a “maybe” just be prepared to get it handled your self. They are super busy during the season.

OP
T
From my experience in the different states I have hunted, this is nearly impossible.

Typically, they have to be a licensed guide/outfitter to pack meat. They are really busy guiding clients, and or doing drop camps.

During the hunting season, it’s really tuff to find one that isn’t too busy. Call the outfitters in your area now, and ask. Most when I have asked just so no, they will be to busy.

Once in a great while, you might get a maybe.

Out of all the maybes I have ever got, my buddy and I got 2 bulls packed out one time. We got really lucky the outfitter wasn’t busy, and happened to not be to far away from our trailhead when we texted. He said if we could get the two bulls packed to a certain spot on a trail by 8am the next morning he could be there. We did our part, and he did his worked out great.

Every other time an outfitter said “maybe”, we either got the bull packed out, and never heard back, or had it packed out by the time they were able to get back to us.

If you get a “maybe” just be prepared to get it handled your self. They are super busy during the season.
Thanks for the advise. I try to stay within a 2 mile radius of all my access points this has been working for me. I know I can get any animal out if I have the time that is.

UncleBone

WKR
I was offered help last year by some other hunters with horses ans mules. I was solo and my bull was 5 miles in so I figured I would take them up on their offer. They said they had plans to run to town that morning and then would be back to help. Showed them where to meet me on onx, and they never showed. So they figured out where I killed it then ghosted me. Lesson learned on that one!

OP
T
I was offered help last year by some other hunters with horses ans mules. I was solo and my bull was 5 miles in so I figured I would take them up on their offer. They said they had plans to run to town that morning and then would be back to help. Showed them where to meet me on onx, and they never showed. So they figured out where I killed it then ghosted me. Lesson learned on that one!
Dude that is messed up lol. I dont let myself go 5 miles if im elk hunting solo lol.

Marble

WKR
The forest service is in charge of issuing licenses to every outfitter in an area. When we wanted to know who was assigned what what area, we went there and got the info really easy.

You can also find out if there are complaints on any of them, or file a complaint if you need to.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Honestly, you're likely wasting your time.

95% of the time Outfitters are too busy packing people back in to hunt public land for $4000 a pop to give you a call back for a cool $500-$1000 to pack out an elk....

There's just not enough money in it for them. Thats why 95% of them don't bother returning phone calls. Several years ago, I called around 5-10 different places ahead of my trip and only had one person who I thought was going to be reliable.

When my buddy put a bull on the ground, I called the guy, he didn't answer, and he never bothered to call me back. Not necessarily knocking the packer/outfitter, just more of a heads up that DONT RELY ON OTHER PEOPLE TO SAVE YOUR MEAT.

Last edited:

Scoot

WKR
Dos, I'm guessing this is only true if you're paying them cash for the help? What about if you reimburse them by sharing the meat from the bull? Just curious...

Dos, I'm guessing this is only true if you're paying them cash for the help? What about if you reimburse them by sharing the meat from the bull? Just curious...

I think offering meat as compensation would violate game laws 100%. You can't buy, sell, or barter wild game meat.

Honestly, you're likely wasting your time.

95% of the time Outfitters are too busy packing people back in to hunt public land for $4000 a pop to give you a call back for a cool $500-$1000 to pack out an elk....

There's just not enough money in it for them. Thats why 95% of them don't bother returning phone calls. Several years ago, I called around 5-10 different places ahead of my trip and only had one person who I thought was going to be reliable.

When my buddy put a bull on the ground, I called the guy, he didn't answer, and he never bothered to call me back. Not necessarily knocking the packer/outfitter, just more of a heads up that DONT RELY ON OTHER PEOPLE TO SAVE YOUR MEAT.

This has been my experience as well. There was one outfitter in Colorado I think would have helped me if I killed, but other places I've been they were way too flaky to trust. You'd never know until you hear horse hooves coming up the trail.

I have never had the opportunity to ask an outfitter for help packing.

There was one that I used to run into on the trail and he said that he would help, "if" I could get ahold of him at go time.

I wouldn't count on it, unless it's very convenient for them.

cnelk

WKR

I bet they already have plenty of elk meat.

34 years ago I got a warning from the Forest Service for packing elk out (without a permit)
Absolutely no compensation is allowed. ;)

Crawfish

FNG
I start with talking to an outfitter licensed in the area I’m hunting, ask them if they’ll do it, sometimes they will sometimes they won’t, but they always know someone else for me to call. Lot of time on the phone, and I find what I’m looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk