How stiff are your everyday/hiking shoes?

rharbaugh

WKR
I got a little carried away at my buddy's wedding awhile back...the right amount of beers, overly tight dress shoes, and a wide open dance floor. A few months later my right foot is not right. I damaged a nerve, Morton's Neuroma. Every time I take a step I feel like I'm stepping on a small rock. Thanks a lot Busch Light, Neil Diamond, and 50 year old ladies who love to dance. Two cortisone shots later (hurts like a banshee), the pain from just walking is gone, but my two little toes still get numb. Being an agronomist, I put a lot of miles on during the growing season. The standard running shoe that used to suffice in corn fields no longer holds up. I busted out my Beartooths and what a relief that was. I got to break in my new boots and the stiff boot completely stopped the pain and numbness. I'm looking for a lighter set of shoes that have a stiff sole. Something between a Brooks running shoe and a mountain boot. A lot of folks on here like Altras, Salomons, and Obozs. I'd be interested on your opinion on how stiff these are and if you think they'd fit what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot,

BumFoot McGee

Last edited:
Have you talked to a podiatrist?

They are pretty good to get an opinion from although they range from useless to okay.

If you are looking for a stiffer shoe for everyday look at Drew's. They are pretty stiff many have a shank. You can order them from zappos and if you do not think that is what you want send it back.

Not for hiking though.

I switched to an approach shoe last year as my Solomons were just not lasting long enough. The shoe I am using now is made by La Sportiva and has done quite well. I try to walk everyday, my neighbor loop is 3 miles on a dirt road. I also used it during last years archery season with no issue.

Jimss

WKR
I've had Morton's neuroma for the past 15 years...not fun! Make sure you buy large volume boots so your toes have plenty of room! Next invest in highly padded insoles. I actually had custom insoles made a few years ago that have a hole in the area of my neuroma. Finally, also invest in socks with padding in the balls of the feet! Thorlos and other brands make different thickness socks with padding. Some are thinly padded for summer use.

I buy my boots around 1 size larger than needed so I can add thicker, padded insoles plus padded socks. I've had pretty good luck with Crispis. They come in wide sizes that are often wider than some. I've used and abused quite a few Crispi models. I just bought a pair of the new Thor models. Boy it's light with a stiffer sole for protection. I haven't tried them yet but am pretty sure they are going to be one of my favorites!

I actually had surgery on my neuroma. They didn't cut out the right one so I'm back to square 1! I would certainly not try surgery unless you are in super tough shape! Best of luck!

If I’m not at work (I work in an office) I have my Meindl Comfort Fit Hikers on. They are every day wear as well as my hunting boot during Whitetail, Pheasant, Mule Deer and Elk hunts. I have had problems with Plantar Faciitous but these keep it away. No athletic (tennis shoes) for me. I sure a similar boot would work for you but these just fit me.

OP
rharbaugh

rharbaugh

WKR
I switched to an approach shoe last year as my Solomons were just not lasting long enough. The shoe I am using now is made by La Sportiva and has done quite well. I try to walk everyday, my neighbor loop is 3 miles on a dirt road. I also used it during last years archery season with no issue.
What La Sportiva model's are your using?

OP
rharbaugh

rharbaugh

WKR
Have you talked to a podiatrist?

They are pretty good to get an opinion from although they range from useless to okay.

If you are looking for a stiffer shoe for everyday look at Drew's. They are pretty stiff many have a shank. You can order them from zappos and if you do not think that is what you want send it back.

Not for hiking though.
I've seen two podiatrists, and they both recommended more shots if it starts to hurt again. They didn't have much for recommendations besides using a running shoe with cushion.

OP
rharbaugh

rharbaugh

WKR
I've had Morton's neuroma for the past 15 years...not fun! Make sure you buy large volume boots so your toes have plenty of room! Next invest in highly padded insoles. I actually had custom insoles made a few years ago that have a hole in the area of my neuroma. Finally, also invest in socks with padding in the balls of the feet! Thorlos and other brands make different thickness socks with padding. Some are thinly padded for summer use.

I buy my boots around 1 size larger than needed so I can add thicker, padded insoles plus padded socks. I've had pretty good luck with Crispis. They come in wide sizes that are often wider than some. I've used and abused quite a few Crispi models. I just bought a pair of the new Thor models. Boy it's light with a stiffer sole for protection. I haven't tried them yet but am pretty sure they are going to be one of my favorites!

I actually had surgery on my neuroma. They didn't cut out the right one so I'm back to square 1! I would certainly not try surgery unless you are in super tough shape! Best of luck!
Dang, I'm sorry they botched the surgery. I was really hoping you were going to recommend surgery because the shots are brutal!

What La Sportiva model's are your using?

Blandry

WKR
agreed.. I daily wear approach shoes which are pretty close to my hunting boot stiffness. I'm wearing lowa approach pros right now but have some asolo low cut and salewa mountain trainers which are also pretty stiff. I love a stiff, goretex shoe for daily wear in the snow and slush here in CO.

love these but they're discontinued.. should have bought a few pairs.. https://www.activegearreview.com/footwear/mens-shoes-and-boots/lowa-approach-pro-gtx-lo-review/

OP
rharbaugh

rharbaugh

WKR
agreed.. I daily wear approach shoes which are pretty close to my hunting boot stiffness. I'm wearing lowa approach pros right now but have some asolo low cut and salewa mountain trainers which are also pretty stiff. I love a stiff, goretex shoe for daily wear in the snow and slush here in CO.

love these but they're discontinued.. should have bought a few pairs.. https://www.activegearreview.com/footwear/mens-shoes-and-boots/lowa-approach-pro-gtx-lo-review/
How do you like your salewa mountain trainers? I've been looking at those pretty hard

Blandry

WKR
How do you like your salewa mountain trainers? I've been looking at those pretty hard

Love em, they've been great in my shoe rotation but I just like the lowa approach pro's more. They're a solid approach shoe and completely waterproof (so far).

Vandy321

WKR
Just went from my 4 flex Crispi to a 2 flex Crossover Pro. Perfectly stiff for a around town, short hike and I will probaly wear these in Sept. Nice and light, extremely comfortable upper and a pretty stiff shank (even though advertised as a 2 flex)

c670809

FNG
I have different feet issues but the only thing that has cured them is stiff boots. I rotate through Crispi, Kenetreck, and Nicks. I wear boots everyday for the stiff sole.

Jimss

WKR
I had cortisone shots and they did literally nothing. My biggest word of advice is padding and lots of volume in your footwear. Hard or aged insoles are horrible for me!

I would recommend possibly orthotics with a hole where your neuroma is located.

I have a small wooden roller that I sometimes roll the bottom of my foot over in the region around the neuroma. It sometimes helps a little. I sometimes take my boots off at lunch and rub the pneumonia area with my thumb and stretch my toes to loosen that area up. There also is a cortezone cream you can put in the pneumona area. It’s no fun. Prevention is good medicine!

Vandy321

WKR
Keep in mind that once your foot heals, overtime stiff soles daily may contribute to the weaking of the foot muscles due to them not having to work to support the body.

Birddog1

FNG
Question for those of you dealing with this, do you go with a wider shoe/boot? I’m dealing with something similar, numbness in my toes and some pain on the outer edge of my right foot depending on footwear. I just chalked it up to the arthritis I’m dealing with over the last few years.

I‘m looking at a pair of Lowa Renegade and wondering if I should go wide even though I have never worn wide. Normally I wear a 12 or 12.5 (Crispi) but it will be a 13 in the Lowa’s.

edit to add the concern with going with a wide is the amount of side to side play I feel in those.

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
I completely trashed a pair of Saloman ultra's in less than a year, fortunately I bought that pair direct and they warrantied them, got a pair of speed cross 5 runners.

Asolo work best for me.