How much tent is too much?

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
I've got an eye on 2 different tent setups... the first is a SO redcliff and the other is a SO 12 man tipi. The scenario would be CO late season with 4 guys. I get the impression that the redcliff would be super tight but doable with 4 people and a stove. Gear would go to a second smaller tent. However, the 12 man is pretty heavy. Would be 20 lbs or so with a stove.

Would we be miserable in the redcliff? Is the 12 man overkill for 4 guys and a stove?

*zap*

WKR
If 4 guys cannot carry a12 man, well.....

Redcliff would be super tight, I would not want to be in it.

4 with a stove in the 8 would be tight. 12 is nice but finding a spot can be challenging. The tipi is nice for hanging out, drying clothes, warming up, eating in weather, etc. You don't really need to sleep in it. When we have 4 or 5 folks we bring the 8 man and a lightweight 2 or 3 person for a couple folks to sleep in. Most all the gear stay (and dries) in the tipi. Works pretty well for us.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
4 adults is reasonable in the Redcliff if you are not spending much time in the tent. It will be tight with a stove though. If you bring a second shelter, I would sleep two in the Redcliff with gear and use it as the main hangout, then two in the second shelter. A Redcliff and Cimmaron would be lighter than the 12 man (but not by much) and very comfortable for 4 people. Cost would be about the same.

Advantage is you can pack the Cimmaron if you might get stuck out over night, plus for future hunts you will have a more flexible setup.

If you have one guy who is fine with it, you could also do a Redcliff and Silex with 3 sleeping in the Redcliff. The stove does not burn long enough to keep you warm all night anyway.

brian_

FNG
I would think 4 w/o a stove in the Redcliff would work fine if you guys are friends. Then again I'd do 4 in the Cimarron... as others have stated, a stove changes the equation. But IMO I wouldn't buy the 12 man unless I already had some places in mind where I wanted to set it up. It's too big otherwise.

Are you packing in or road camping?
Like said finding a spot for a 12 can be challenging.
If road camping would a wall tent or Kodiak canvas type tent be an option?

Good thoughts, I like the main shelter to hang out in, dry, etc and smaller tent(s) to sleep.

OP has not been in this thread since his first post...

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like we will be sticking closer to the truck and going with a bigger tent. Will keep a couple small tents in the truck so we can always spike out.

JP100

WKR
As above, the problem with very big tents is the footprint size.
Depends on you terrain etc, but finding an actual camping spot for a 12man would probably be difficult.
Go 2 smaller tipis?

2 4mans? or 2 6 mans?

More versatile longer term, ie you wont always be camping with 4 people in the same spot etc.

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
As above, the problem with very big tents is the footprint size.
Depends on you terrain etc, but finding an actual camping spot for a 12man would probably be difficult.
Go 2 smaller tipis?

2 4mans? or 2 6 mans?

More versatile longer term, ie you wont always be camping with 4 people in the same spot etc.
Agreed. I definitely see the value there. However, one of the main deciding factors ended up being the fact that all of us have families and will be using it has a family tent for camping. So, for that use, the single large tent made more sense. I imagine, over the next few years, we will add a few redclifs to the arsenal.

Go big or go home

How many times do you ever say “wish I had a smaller tent” when inside the tent? (Hint: never).

Sure when carrying it solo, but you have people to split the misery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
With a stove, I love my redcliff for solo use or for two.

On a perfect crisp day it is too much tent. When the weather is bad, it's just the right amount of tent. When the weather really sucks, I wish I had a redcliff with sidewalls.

S.Clancy

WKR
I have the LBO Base+Tarp+Base. I've done 3 people with stove really easy. Those tipi's have so much wasted space because they are round, the LBO is basically a rectangle, so space is used more efficiently. And the whole thing is like 8-9 lbs including stove

I have a SO redcliff w/ stove and no way i'm doing a late season hunt with 4 guys & stove. Late season hunts means less daylight and alot of time spent in the tent, 2 guys with gear and stove is perfect.

rcb2000

WKR
For a late season hunt you can do 3 in a Redcliff with a stove, but one will sleep in front of the door.
Not the end of the world, but can be a little annoying.