How much ammo?

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
I like to carry a full box of 20 at the minimum, I'll cut a bit weight elsewhere in my gear before I carry less ammo

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
13-14, most times though, it's whatever the rifle holds, 3-5, haven't needed more than that

sambo3006

FNG
I usually have the rifle full to capacity plus an extra 10 or 12 rounds. If I'm out far enough that a trip back to the truck would be lengthy, I'll bring about 20 rounds extra in case of a rifle mishap that requires verifying zero in the field. As far as firing shots for an SOS, I carry a referee whistle around my neck on western hunts. I know if I was out in the field and heard a whistle blowing over and over I'd go over to investigate.

Tod osier

WKR
My buddy and I were discussing how much ammo to bring on a hike when we're hunting.

I usually bring a half box and have never needed more than 1 or 2. One time I did go through a couple more when I took a good fall and wanted to make sure my rifle was still hitting where it was supposed to. I figure if I need more than that, I should give up the hunting.

And then a couple weeks ago, I was out looking for elk, and my buddy wanted to tag along. He decided to bring a shotgun and see if he could get a couple grouse during the day. After he shot the 3rd grouse, he admitted that he had not expected to be very successful that day and hadn't brought any extra shells.

How much do you bring on your hunt and why?
20+ when I was a "Leupold guy", now 10.

Wymatt22

FNG
I typically carry 12 rounds. 5 in magazine, 3 in my bino harness, and 4 in my pack.

SC HUNTER

FNG
It really just depends on where I'm hunting. If I'm deer hunting around home on one of the leases or private pieces I've got permission to hunt I'll have 4 the gun and some ammo in the truck. My encore has an ammo sleeve on the butt stock so it has 5 or 6 in it all the time.

Now if I'm out of town hunting I'll have the 4 in the gun or on the gun plus the same amount in my pack and a box extra with me either in the hotel, camp or whatever the sleeping arrangements are at the time.

I have a box in my console of my truck that has 3 each of 6.5, 7mm-08, 243, 308, 30-06 and 300 win mag that stays in the console all of deer season. I need to add though that my hunting pack that I carry has 1 or 2 bullets for each gun I hunt with on a regular basis floating around in there. I have got to the stand and went to load my rifle to realize I left the magazine on the island at home or something. Having a single shot a-bolt is cool I guess.

I’ve been schlepping pack and rifle around the back country for about 35 years. In early days I carried a whole box plus magazine. Took me about 10 years to realize I was never gonna need that box. My worst day ever I used 7 rounds to bring down an elk (embarrassing really) so I figure two magazines is plenty. I’d rather carry another quart of water, which most days I will absolutely need. I do have spare box in camp in case I need to zero, and one in the truck just cuz it costs me nothing in terms of weight or exertion.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
We just had this conversation on the long drive home from Wyoming.
We packed in 6mi and were discussing on ways to cut weight.
I took 10 rounds with me, my partner had 12.
I used 3 and he used 1.
We came to the conclusion that 8 would be sufficient. We could probably go with less if we shot the same caliber.
I'll go with 8 from now on. If it bites me, I'll be mad at myself but realistically, anybody doing what we do should be proficient enough to get it done with 8 rounds....

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy and I went on a caribou hunt in the north tundra, archery or rifle. We wanted to do archery but brought a rifle for backup. One other guy in camp that was a prick that also tried archery but gave up and went rifle. As he's leaving camp with 4 rounds for his 30-06 we ask him " is that all the ammo your taking?" got a mind your own business look. Fast forward we spot a bull on a ridge 500 yards or so out and tell the guy that he could try for it as we wanted to hunt the bottoms were there is more cover. We expect that he's going to put the sneak on this thing and close the distance. He started winging away, offhand at 500 yards! The last shot (#4) he cripples it and it's across the lake from camp. an hour away from more ammo. My buddy and I spent the rest of the morning getting on the bull and finishing it off with our archery gear.