How many of you own semi-auto rifles?

I'm curious how many of the hunters here own semi-auto rifles.

I've been having conversations with lots of different people recently about the type of people who purchase them and am surprised by many of the opinions I'm hearing. Very wide ranging from "I'd give up all my guns if it would change things" to "we should be able to purchase full autos without as much as background check".

I don't want to just hear from the guys who have them but also from those who don't and their reasons why. Too expensive, moral objection, wouldn't use it or the wife won't tolerate another gun?

Those who own them, what was your reason for buying them? Hunting, shooting sports, SHTF situation or none of my damn business?

And no, I don't work for the alphabet boys.

Please don't turn this into an argument about laws or proposed changes. I know it's hard with such a touchy subject.

RockinU

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple, one I inherited from my grandfather, but I'm betting it's not the type you are asking about. I use my AR pretty regular when I'm predator calling or hog hunting, it's pretty handy.

I own a couple. One is my big game rifle that I will never part with. It is a Browning BAR and the best high powered semi-auto I have ever shot. It will shoot as accurate as any other out of the box bolt action.

I also own an AR for killing predators, 2 or 4 legged ones.

isu22andy

WKR
Own an AR for calling coyotes and shooting prairie dogs. Really dont use it much anymore though. Feel like I always rush my shots with it .

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I own a few. The AR's are for predator hunting and target shooting and I have a Browning BAR 30-06 that belonged to my grandpa. I haven't had it out in a while but I've shot deer with it in the past. Obviously, all the firearms I own could also be used for protection of my family or property if the need ever arose.

ChrisS

WKR
I don't. Never felt the need to buy one. I don't target shoot much these days and there's too much other expensive crap I buy every year.

And now I have some serious boat lust, which is a hole in the water you throw money into.

Have/built a couple AR's. Honestly I got them at the time because I thought there was a decent chance I might lose the opportunity in the future. I wasn't one of the fools that paid way too much money though. I rarely shoot them, even more rare I hunt with them although I have. I don't think they are very practical hunting weapons, not even for coyotes (for me). If something goes bump in the night I'm grabbing one and putting two holes through the roof, and whoever is inside can decide if it's worth finding out if those were the only two bullets I had. I've taught my wife to do the same thing in my absence.

bmf0713

WKR
I have a few in a few different calibers. Some are used for plinking and some for hunting. Ammo is farily cheap for the plinkers and i like being able to customize calibers, barrels and triggers easily for the hunting ones.

10/22 .22 for general plinking and critter dispatch
1170 shotgun for goose and deer
4 AR's (technically), only two of which are built.

The AR's were panic buys when Maryland initiated the ban on them. I would probably never have bought one otherwise, but I'm glad that I did. I plink every once in a while with an AR, but mostly they sit in the safe and are merely tools for SHTF. I bought all of them as lowers and only build one out when I see good parts cheap.

The only guns I own that aren't semi are a 700 muzzleloader and a Tikka.

ODB

WKR
None. I have zero interest in ARs - they just don’t fit anywhere in my gun need/want catalog.

Now, a 1913 Lancaster 450 Nitro with dipped fences...yeah, that’s what it’s all about...

Last edited:

Murdy

WKR
I have none. When I can fit it into the budget, I'll pick up an AR, just because. All my hunting rifles are bolts, and my shotguns are pumps. I'd take a semi shotgun, but never saw the need/practicality for a rifle. I have a friend who's big game rifle is a semi (non AR) though.

I have had the desire to buy an AR but have a hard time justifying the cost for one that is worth owning. I don’t need it and would probably barely use it. I keep spending my money on other things.

rlmmarine

WKR
Ruger 10 22
Browning buckmark rifle
Marlin 10 22 my first rifle given to me by my father
All of witch hunt or for fun at the range and for squirrels expecially the buckmark

2 beretta a400s one in 3.5in and 1 black sporting for clays
Winchester x3 that shoots unbelievably
Beretta a300
A couple Remington 1100 20guages one is for sale the other my son uses for doves
Mossburg 12g (my first shotgun)

A browning BAR in 270wsm thats a dust collector
A remington model 4 that i bought to finish a family collection
An ar-15 thats been set up for prairie dogs and is alot of fun

Im sure i missed a few

I also have lever actions, bolts, and single shots.Dont get me started on pistols.

Guns are like golf clubs they all have their nitch. This idea of baning assualt weapons is crap. Whats your idea of an assault weapon. Semi auto with a mag. Then .25percent of my hunting riflea go out the window.