How many millions

I think the golf industry leads with the annual '$500 driver THAT WILL FIX YOUR SWING' then be worth $150 when you trade it in next year.
Archery industry isn't far behind. It amazes me how many people can't wait for this years' bow to be released.
At least with optics, if it's quality and well-cared for you can get good resale out of them.

I might be ahead financially if I hadn't listened at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
True (potentially). Not all scenarios require alpha or near it.

I know a couple of folks in TX that damn near have the complete "what's what" of Swarovski optics. All that money to shoot exactly 100 yards from their blinds to their feeders. That is ego stroking and not what they can get away with.

I've spent a small fortune building my optics arsenal, a lot of it from the classifieds.

The rest of my money has been wasted.......lol.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I justify it like this, Hunting; it’s pretty much my main hobby.

I hope that if something ever happens to me, my wife doesn’t sell the stuff off for what I told her I paid for it.Grin

Funny story, many years ago a hunting buddy gets a call from his dad that is at a garage sale in San Francisco. He asks my buddy Rich, “ is a pair of Swaro 10 x 50 binoculars worth $40?” my buddy says heck, yes, where are you right now? His dad tells him he is trying to get the lady to come down in price. “Its fine Dad, buy them”

Then Rich asks his dad what else does she have? It turns out he ends up buying one of the old style Zeiss spotting scopes for $30 along with the Swaros.
That woman’s husband died and she had no idea what that stuff was worth.

I need to leave a sealed envelope for my wife in case of my death;

Honey I hate to break this to you but My optics collection is worth a small fortune … to give you an idea, it’s probably worth more than the purses that you own. …..yeah, its that much. Love, B
Grin

Slewwater

FNG
My first optic splurge was on a Kowa Prominar 80mm spotter - an upgrade from the Leopold I ran in my 20's. The Leupold has been collecting dust ever since and it started a trend where once a year I splurge on glass. This last year was a Reddington rifle scope from the 60's to a NF NX-8. 2023 has new binos added to the ebay alert.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think the golf industry leads with the annual '$500 driver THAT WILL FIX YOUR SWING' then be worth $150 when you trade it in next year.
I started going frugal with ski's and equipment in college. We could get "last year's" $500+ top models for $99 for brand new ski's at the Gart Warehouse back then. Pound those things for a few years and then replace them again with that previous year's models. I've done the same with golf clubs over the years. I don't need this year's "magic" driver for $500, but I'll certainly try it used for $49 a year or two later.

Good optics tend to hold their value longer though. But much like cars, they do depreciate initially off of MSRP as soon as they become "used".

I started going frugal with ski's and equipment in college. We could get "last year's" $500+ top models for $99 for brand new ski's at the Gart Warehouse back then. Pound those things for a few years and then replace them again with that previous year's models. I've done the same with golf clubs over the years. I don't need this year's "magic" driver for $500, but I'll certainly try it used for $49 a year or two later.

Good optics tend to hold their value longer though. But much like cars, they do depreciate initially off of MSRP as soon as they become "used".
I have purchased my share of Gart Bros 'end of year' bargains! Thanks for bringing back the memories.
Back to optics...Maybe it's because I'm cheap but I do not subscribe to the 'buy once, cry once' theory.
A few years ago, I decided I 'needed' a spotter.
I wasn't going to go crazy because I really like my binoculars and wasn't convinced I wanted one.
I did my research, settled on a Pentax 65ED and the AW eyepiece and did some shopping. For less than $500 used, I got exactly what I thought I wanted, toted it around for a while and decided I didn't need a spotter. Sold it for $600 on Craigslist.
There isn't one right way to buy optics but I have my way and it has worked so far.

Shraggs

WKR
I justify it like this, Hunting; it’s pretty much my main hobby.

I hope that if something ever happens to me, my wife doesn’t sell the stuff off for what I told her I paid for it.Grin

Funny story, many years ago a hunting buddy gets a call from his dad that is at a garage sale in San Francisco. He asks my buddy Rich, “ is a pair of Swaro 10 x 50 binoculars worth $40?” my buddy says heck, yes, where are you right now? His dad tells him he is trying to get the lady to come down in price. “Its fine Dad, buy them”

Then Rich asks his dad what else does she have? It turns out he ends up buying one of the old style Zeiss spotting scopes for $30 along with the Swaros.
That woman’s husband died and she had no idea what that stuff was worth.

I need to leave a sealed envelope for my wife in case of my death;

Honey I hate to break this to you but My optics collection is worth a small fortune … to give you an idea, it’s probably worth more than the purses that you own. …..yeah, its that much. Love, B
Grin

I think most of us fly under the spouse radar. But, I’ve kept her up to date with insurance riders. My optics/weapons and my sharp things is pretty staggering actually. But in that context just got the head shake. But it’s documented and phone numbers for disposition should she need it.

Jimss

WKR
I sold a bunch of gear so I could afford the best! Worth every penny buying Leica and Swaro optics!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

When I came home from Iraq, I looked at some $1200 Swarovski as a reward to myself.
Those same binoculars are still $900 used even 18 years later.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk