How long does it take to get a Wyoming nonresident elk tag?

clopper54

FNG
I would like to hunt some rough country in Wyoming that holds more elk than hunters. How do I apply for that?
e661b40669ae5a75514b3e79c7054335.jpg

General tag will do that the quickest. Two options, special draw and regular draw, the one and only difference being price. Special tag you'll get first year as a first choice even without preference points, regular draw may take three years of applying (2 preference points) with the current demand. Most of the limited hunts require several years of points, have little public land, or are mostly wilderness (guide required for NR in designated wilderness) or have grizzly bears. If you'll hunt with grizzlies there my be some limited hunts you can draw and hunt National Forest outside the wilderness.

Gobbler36

WKR
As noted,General hunts, which most general units are close to 100% wilderness so you'll need a guide or start buying points and try to draw unit with non wilderness national forest, Way i have looked at it is the special draw really on shaves off a point or 2 depending on how many points you have, really the special draw is in place is if your close to the top in points and are afraid of point creep, pay the $1000 and likely draw the tag, thats the way I interpret anyway. Good luck

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
The success rate for the GEN tag special draw with 0 points in 2015 was 45% as a first choice. You can no longer draw it as a 2nd choice. That didn't take long to happen once the word got out...

NoWiser

WKR
The success rate for the GEN tag special draw with 0 points in 2015 was 45% as a first choice. You can no longer draw it as a 2nd choice. That didn't take long to happen once the word got out...

That is not true. If you applied for the special general as your first choice last year, you got drawn. Not everyone drew it as a second choice, though some people did.

That is not true. If you applied for the special general as your first choice last year, you got drawn. Not everyone drew it as a second choice, though some people did.
Way to let the cat out of the bag! That's correct though, odds as a second choice in the special draw were about 50/50 I think.

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
Nope, according to the 2015 demand report the NR special GEN tag was not drawn by anyone as a 2nd choice as there were more 1st choice applicants than tags (1221 for 551 tags, or 45%). The random part of the draw was the same way (669 for 397 tags) so not everyone drew it as a 1st choice either. It was a sure thing 2 years ago, not anymore and I'm guessing it will only get worse. That's why WY needs to have bow and gun specific tags.

OP
clopper54

clopper54

FNG
Is it too late for me to apply for the tag that ends on January 31? I have no preference points yet.

Is it too late for me to apply for the tag that ends on January 31? I have no preference points yet.
If you're talking about a leftover you can just buy it, but I'm not sure how that works after the season starts. If you're talking about the draw deadline and want a tag you need to get it done. If you don't want a tag but do want a point the point purchase opens in June.

weaver

WKR
Hadn't realized the special draw odds went down so much in 2015.

Here's a screenshot of the 2015 report
17f9bb28d99a2c55bd3c0b0b01f0cf98.jpg

OP
clopper54

clopper54

FNG
I just called the DNR and they said that if I apply before the end of the month I have a chance to get in a drawing for a unit this year. As you said I can go ahead and wait until June to apply for my preference point. I think that I will go ahead and apply for a preference point in June so that I can find a more secluded unit without as many hunters. Does anyone have any suggestions on units that has rough country, thick brush, grizzly bears and no roads, hunters or atvs.

OP
clopper54

clopper54

FNG
I'm also interested in applying for points in Idaho. I did well in unit 66 last year but I would like to find a place with less hunters and sheepherders.

WKR
I just called the DNR and they said that if I apply before the end of the month I have a chance to get in a drawing for a unit this year. As you said I can go ahead and wait until June to apply for my preference point. I think that I will go ahead and apply for a preference point in June so that I can find a more secluded unit without as many hunters. Does anyone have any suggestions on units that has rough country, thick brush, grizzly bears and no roads, hunters or atvs.

The Northwest corner of Wyoming meets your requirements but much of the area is wilderness, which would require a "guide" if you're a non resident of WY.