How long do you watch a bear before shooting?

MZac

FNG
I'm heading out for my first black bear hunting season and really looking forward to April 1. I don't have a ton of experience watching wild bears.

It's illegal to shoot a sow with a cub(s) where I live (I wouldn't want to do it regardless of legality).

I'm wondering how long you generally watch a bear to confirm it doesn't have a cub before deciding to hunt it? Thanks in advance.

I would go a different route and research how to identify boars from sows. If you’re holding out for a mature boar you won’t have to worry about looking for Cubs.

OP
M

MZac

FNG
Thank you Timberline. Trying to differentiate between the boars and sows is something I'm definitely working on.

As a new hunter, I'm not planning to hold out for a big boar. I'm learning as I go and have no doubt I'll make some mistakes along the way. It makes me wonder how many opportunities I'll actually get and don't see myself passing up anything legal (of course I won't know for sure until I'm out there making the decision in the field).

I'm looking for the experience as well as the meat. Likely won't keep the fur (although I am somewhat undecided on this still). In alot of ways I'd rather go through the whole process with a 150lb bear than a giant my first time. There's a good chance I will be alone and thinking about the whole process is both exciting and anxiety driving at the same time.

I can get a 2nd over the counter tag in BC and if I'm fortunate enough to get the first one, I may change my plan and hold out a bit more for the 2nd.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
It's worth waiting a little bit if the opportunity presents itself.

There was an incident where I was doing some casual late spring blind calling in really open country. A bear came charging out of an aspen bowl below me, super amped up on my fawn call. It stopped at about 450 yards and lost interest in the call. I didn't want to keep blowing because the bear hadn't come from the area where I had set up for a shot, and I would have gotten busted in the open anyway.

The bear immediately lost interest in the call and suddenly was focused on digging into a scree cliff like it had smelled bugs or pikas. The wind was good so I started crouch-running to close the distance and get into slam-dunk shot range.

While I was closing the distance two cubs came out of the aspen thicket and met up with the sow I had been watching. With all the excitement I have no idea how long she had left her cubs behind, but if I had to guess it was probably two or three minutes.

It's probably an extreme case because I spread them out by calling, but something I think about. I think sows generally keep their cubs very close if they have them.

Thank you Timberline. Trying to differentiate between the boars and sows is something I'm definitely working on.

As a new hunter, I'm not planning to hold out for a big boar. I'm learning as I go and have no doubt I'll make some mistakes along the way. It makes me wonder how many opportunities I'll actually get and don't see myself passing up anything legal (of course I won't know for sure until I'm out there making the decision in the field).

I'm looking for the experience as well as the meat. Likely won't keep the fur (although I am somewhat undecided on this still). In alot of ways I'd rather go through the whole process with a 150lb bear than a giant my first time. There's a good chance I will be alone and thinking about the whole process is both exciting and anxiety driving at the same time.

I can get a 2nd over the counter tag in BC and if I'm fortunate enough to get the first one, I may change my plan and hold out a bit more for the 2nd.
I wasn’t suggesting to hold out for a giant, just a mature bear. Bears are extremely interesting animals and nothing will teach you how to hunt them better than watching a couple. You’ll be surprised how many you see once you start hunting into the spring and learning their behaviors. A 150lb bear bear is a yearling, I’m just suggesting to hold out for something in that 250lb 5 foot range. It’d be like holding out for a 2 or 3 point hunting mule deer. You’ll learn a lot and be able to enjoy the experience a little more when you’re taking the time to judge them. Bears can extremely deceiving and it’s not fun walking up to a little tiny bear. You’ll get a lot more meat too!

Wrench

WKR
Once you look at enough wild bears, it takes about a second to call them.

It gets even easier once you have put a few on the ground and only want to take bears that you know you want to do the work on.

Long necks,small ears and Roman noses with a small ass.....that's the nuts and bolts of it.

Frost

FNG
I wasn’t suggesting to hold out for a giant, just a mature bear. Bears are extremely interesting animals and nothing will teach you how to hunt them better than watching a couple. You’ll be surprised how many you see once you start hunting into the spring and learning their behaviors. A 150lb bear bear is a yearling, I’m just suggesting to hold out for something in that 250lb 5 foot range. It’d be like holding out for a 2 or 3 point hunting mule deer. You’ll learn a lot and be able to enjoy the experience a little more when you’re taking the time to judge them. Bears can extremely deceiving and it’s not fun walking up to a little tiny bear. You’ll get a lot more meat too!
I think this might vary a lot by location. Some places a 250 lb bear is pretty hard to come by. Where I hunt, yearlings are well under 100 lbs. 2-3 year old bears are 100-125. 3 year old boar might be 150 but most aren’t. In the 5 years I’ve hunted this unit I’ve seen 100+ bears and only 3, maybe 4 would have been 250+. Depending where you’re at, you might not shoot one for a while if you’re holding out for a 250 pounder.
Spring bear hunting is a blast. Have fun and good luck!

I think this might vary a lot by location. Some places a 250 lb bear is pretty hard to come by. Where I hunt, yearlings are well under 100 lbs. 2-3 year old bears are 100-125. 3 year old boar might be 150 but most aren’t. In the 5 years I’ve hunted this unit I’ve seen 100+ bears and only 3, maybe 4 would have been 250+. Depending where you’re at, you might not shoot one for a while if you’re holding out for a 250 pounder.
Spring bear hunting is a blast.
Interesting. That’s a lot of little bears. I’ve hunted in eastern WA and East idaho mostly and the mature boars are usually over the 200lb mark and the big 19+ inch bears are 300+

it's cool you are asking, i don't think it's talked about enough.... i have just turned into a trophy hunter in the bear woods, because that's the only thing that keeps me from making a mistake that would likely end my spring bear hunting, and i love spring bear hunting.

i don't expect others to follow my lead, and encourage you to shoot any bear you want, it will be a great experience and i completely understand your mindset.

bear hunting in general is a patience game from all angles.... that's what pays. not hunting a spot that's iffy wind wise, and waiting for good wind to hunt that spot you know a bear lives (or several) sticking it out glassing that ridge until it's dark rather than not seeing anything and moving on.... and when you find that bear, being patient to shoot until you are very confident what you are looking at, being willing to pass those fleeting opportunities, knowing the potential consequences.

every situation will be different of course, but i seriously like watching bear for as long as possible unless it's an obvious big boar. i have watched sows feed more than once in fairly open country (by coast standards) and have a little fur ball pop out after 40 minutes.... another time i watched a sow feed for probably 45 minutes, a rain squall came, she was feeding on an open landslide chute alone, she went into the trees as the rain started, and came back out probably 45 minutes later with 2 cubs.

if you want to shoot any legal bear, i wish you luck, and think you should, just don't get antsy to shoot too quick, try to be confident of the situation that the bear you are looking at doesn't have cubs.... i understand you can only do so much there, and i think you asking the question shows you care.... be patient and pay attention.

good luck out there and give us updates!

OP
M

MZac

FNG
Thanks roosie, that is a great response. I went out today (opening day), and I think I may be a bit early here.

Got a great hike out of it and some much needed glassing practise. Going to try a different area tomorrow a bit closer to the coast and drive some fsr's.

I will definitely watch whatever I find for a while. I want to do this right and I need the experience watching them as well.

Jon Boy

WKR
Spring bear hunting is a blast. Have fun and good luck!
My experience as well. Actually weighing the pelts and meat is pretty eye opening. I've seen 100+ bears over the last several springs and have seen maybe 3 that would hit a legit 250 lbs. It takes an ancient 6' bear to do that in the majority of montana. The NW part of the state being the exception.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’d say typically you don’t have much to worry about. In spring the Cubs are so small they won’t be far behind, and if they’re last years, they’ll make it anyway. Not that you want to, just trying to help ease your conscience.