How I "Load Develop"

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
I load Summer and Winter rounds. Blue duct tape on winter ammo boxes. Pressure and harmonics in mind.

My questions for further testing are: Hunting Purposes

Does it matter that a load shoots high SD, but small groups?

Can load #3 group get smaller with a tuner?

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
Depends on the intended distance.....and, that's not enough to accurately call it SD....imo.

Wrench

WKR
The ibs 1k yard nationals has been won with an es over 40. It takes over 100fps at 500yds to shift most rigs 1moa....so, if you had a .7 moa load with an enormous es of say 80fps, you'd still be minute of coyote at 500 yds.

Flyjunky

WKR
The ibs 1k yard nationals has been won with an es over 40. It takes over 100fps at 500yds to shift most rigs 1moa....so, if you had a .7 moa load with an enormous es of say 80fps, you'd still be minute of coyote at 500 yds.
yep, and that's why many people say they don't see higher sd's translated on the paper.

BBob

WKR
About 30 years ago I said F the SD. I’ll go with the load combination that groups consistently over the test of time. So yeah the high precision and F all those funny numbers that I don’t look at anymore.

If you want to dive into the rabbit hole of why larger variations in velocity may not matter and might actually be beneficial start by googling positive compensation. Just another theory yet to be proven but something to think about.

Last edited:
OP
Gingerman

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
F'N intriguing!

OP
Gingerman

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
About 30 years ago I said F the SD. I’ll go with the load combination that groups consistently over the test of time. So yeah the high precision and F all those funny numbers that I don’t look at anymore.
I'm digging that!