How far do you camp from your Treestand?

bobinmi

WKR
This might be a stupid question. Typically for whitetail I don't spend a lot of time in a tent. This year, I'm going to head up to Northern Michigan and do a couple multiday backcountry hunts ( I hesitate to use the word backcountry for anything in the lower peninsula). Typically, how far from a treestand set up do you guys think is far enough. Please take for granted that I know how to play the wind and thermals. I've got a buddy that will let me park at his place and drive me too and from the trail head in order to hide the fact that I'm even there. The entire hunt is moronic to be honest. I'll be leaving deer on private farm land to go chase ghosts in the middle of nowhere, but I can't afford a western hunt this year and I need some kind of adventure.

Btaylor

WKR
Bill Winke went in with a bivy setup and iirc stayed pretty much at the tree. Killed a typical Bill Winke deer too...large to quite large.

Killed plenty of deer 100 yards from my camp and, also more than I would like, at a distance of a few miles. If there is good sign close, hunt close. If you feel like getting further, out go for it. My advise is don’t overthink it. If there is good sign close to camp and that is where you feel you should hunt, do it.

WCB

WKR
Impossible question to answer. Terrain, weather, deer travel pattern, how used to people and activity are the deer.

EdP

WKR
I am more concerned about having my back country camp located where it is unlikely to be found by other hunters or by hikers. To some that concern might disqualify my hunt as back country but it is as back country as I can get in Va.

I would be worried more about other hunters chasing deer off than your camp running deer off.

I have read and heard typical fire smoke can act as a very good cover scent for animals. They are familiar enough with the smell to know it isnt a threat, quite unlike human scent. Something to consider if you canp close.

*zap*

WKR
I think it depends on how used to human's being around the deer are, good luck on your adventure!

If it's anything like N. MN, I'd find a convenient camp spot that isn't immediately adjacent to where you want to hunt.

Sure, you might get away with camping near your stand but you might not. It's a big variable that is easy to eliminate by not camping close.

Bill Winke went in with a bivy setup and iirc stayed pretty much at the tree. Killed a typical Bill Winke deer too...large to quite large.

The scenario was a bit different in that he had to do that to avoid blowing deer out while accessing the stand but that story still perplexes me. I cant wrap my head around how spending something like 20 nights sleeping in the same places stands and blinds are set up didn't eventually put a bunch of human scent in that bucks core area and cause more issue than busting them when accessing the stand sites. Maybe he has a magical situation where the wind doesn't ever go the wrong direction over the course of 20 12 hour evenings..

Btaylor

WKR
If it's anything like N. MN, I'd find a convenient camp spot that isn't immediately adjacent to where you want to hunt.

Sure, you might get away with camping near your stand but you might not. It's a big variable that is easy to eliminate by not camping close.

The scenario was a bit different in that he had to do that to avoid blowing deer out while accessing the stand but that story still perplexes me. I cant wrap my head around how spending something like 20 nights sleeping in the same places stands and blinds are set up didn't eventually put a bunch of human scent in that bucks core area and cause more issue than busting them when accessing the stand sites. Maybe he has a magical situation where the wind doesn't ever go the wrong direction over the course of 20 12 hour evenings..
Dont disagree. Seems it would take the perfect spot for thermals to work in the hunters advantage and a deer that doesnt use the area where thermal drift is moving. I could see it working in hill or mountain country where you had a terrain feature that blocked where thermal drift would go. But you would also need wind consistency to make that work as well I would think and we just dont get much of that here.

WCB

WKR

I'm with you on the Winke thing. I think he is more just bored hunting Whitetails and it would make a cool story than anything. But I am sure we will see the "best bivy for sleeping under my stand" posts coming soon.

I'm with you on the Winke thing. I think he is more just bored hunting Whitetails and it would make a cool story than anything. But I am sure we will see the "best bivy for sleeping under my stand" posts coming soon.

My thoughts exactly. Makes a cool story but doesn't make sense to me. My interest in being a better whitetail hunter is a newer development and I put a lot of faith in what he says. Some stuff just doesn't add up to me though.. Like using waders to eliminate your scent but then putting bare hands on a bunch of stuff like trail cams. Seems like bears are way more likely to mess with my cams shortly after i put my greasy fingers on them so i cant see deer not noticing as well.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I like to set up fairly far from my good hunting area, maybe 1/4mi or more depending on terrain.

I do like to be close to my "second choice" area. Its nice for mornings when you just want to roll out of bed and sit for an hour before breakfast. Haven't ever shot a deer in those spots, but have seen quite a few.

WKR
Distance shouldn't be super important if you know how to play the wind and thermals. Camp somewhere that will allow you to access good spots from a direction most hunters wouldn't. Sneak attack a big buck that thinks he has hunters patterned.