How do you decide?

BIG_KUMAR

Lil-Rokslider
I recently moved to NM and 2023 will be my first year applying for tags. Thankfully I work with a lot of hunters that have been more than helpful giving me the general lay of the land and which zones are better than others. NM Game and Fish also has a lot of good information available online including past years draw results.

My plan is to submit for deer and elk in my “local” zones hoping that I can spend more time scouting if I do get drawn. I also plan on submitting for archery and muzzleloader tags because they seem to have historically higher chances of draw. This should theoretically give me a little better chance of getting drawn, but a smaller chance of being successful. My focus right now is just trying to get drawn and get out in the woods and learn before I start trying to draw the trophy units.

How do you decide how to apply for tags? Do you play the statistics and try to maximize your chances of drawing? Do you focus on local units or trophy units? Are there other factors that determine how you apply?

For clarification, I’m not asking for specific units or trade secrets and I think I have my rough game plan together. I am just curious what everybody else’s process is.

Well far as my state Oregon.
I waited for a deer tag and the unit declined.
So I'm just up s creek with a bunch of points and no tag that I want that I can draw.
So for me I just want tags. As long as the unit isn't terrible, I'll make something work. But I don't want to be in the sidelines.

OP
BIG_KUMAR

BIG_KUMAR

Lil-Rokslider
Well far as my state Oregon.
I waited for a deer tag and the unit declined.
So I'm just up s creek with a bunch of points and no tag that I want that I can draw.
So for me I just want tags. As long as the unit isn't terrible, I'll make something work. But I don't want to be in the sidelines.
I don’t know if it’s a good thing or not, but NM doesn’t have a point system. Every year is a new year and everybody is starting fresh.

And I don’t want to sit on the sidelines either.

BBob

WKR
My focus right now is just trying to get drawn and get out in the woods and learn before I start trying to draw the trophy units.
I’d agree with this. Get out there and get some hunts in even if it’s a less than desirable unit. Take some trips into the HD units when you can to see differences in terrain between them and what you might like to hunt in the future.

I don’t know if it’s a good thing or not, but NM doesn’t have a point system. Every year is a new year and everybody is starting fresh.

And I don’t want to sit on the sidelines either.

You will have the option of a 4th choice on your application which basically means you can get a random hunt in whichever region you choose (NW, SW, etc.) and if you draw there you wouldn't be on the sideline should none of your top 3 choices get selected.

OP
BIG_KUMAR

BIG_KUMAR

Lil-Rokslider
You will have the option of a 4th choice on your application which basically means you can get a random hunt in whichever region you choose (NW, SW, etc.) and if you draw there you wouldn't be on the sideline should none of your top 3 choices get selected.

True. Hopefully I can draw one of my top 3, but I would take the generic 4th if it meant getting a tag.

Double check.
But I think NM looks at all 5 of your choices once they pull your number.
So I think the general tactic is a few shoot for the stars units.
Then a couple you mite actually draw?
If I remember correctly.

That’s what some of my buddies do. Submit a couple trophy long shots and a couple higher percentage. That will probably be my approach in a couple of years too, but I’m not worried about trophies right now.

True. Hopefully I can draw one of my top 3, but I would take the generic 4th if it meant getting a tag.

That’s what some of my buddies do. Submit a couple trophy long shots and a couple higher percentage. That will probably be my approach in a couple of years too, but I’m not worried about trophies right now.
But in general those units should offer a better experience all around.

OP
BIG_KUMAR

BIG_KUMAR

Lil-Rokslider
But in general those units should offer a better experience all around.
That’s completely possible, and I do have a pretty competitive trophy unit on my list since it has decent odds for an archery tag.

I really appreciate the feedback so far, but I am still curious as to how you guys decide how to submit your applications. Do you try for the best odds of drawing or do you only want the trophy units? Do you only try for local units? Does something else drive your decision?

That’s completely possible, and I do have a pretty competitive trophy unit on my list since it has decent odds for an archery tag.

I really appreciate the feedback so far, but I am still curious as to how you guys decide how to submit your applications. Do you try for the best odds of drawing or do you only want the trophy units? Do you only try for local units? Does something else drive your decision?
It depends on the state.
For instance in Oregon the chance of a 2nd choice tag thats decent is nil.
Because they don't look at all your choices. They look at everyone's 1st choice.

If I was applying for NM
I would put throphy 1st every time.

If I lived in NM applying for elk and had zero out of state hunts that year I would apply like this.

1st choice.
Low odds draw like a Gila second archery season.

2nd choice.
Late muzzy hunt in an archery/muzzy only unit.

3rd choice.
Anything close to where I live that has a huntable population and is 30%+ draw odds.

OP
BIG_KUMAR

BIG_KUMAR

Lil-Rokslider
If I lived in NM applying for elk and had zero out of state hunts that year I would apply like this.

1st choice.
Low odds draw like a Gila second archery season.

2nd choice.
Late muzzy hunt in an archery/muzzy only unit.

3rd choice.
Anything close to where I live that has a huntable population and is 30%+ draw odds.

This is the kind of response I was hoping to get, so thank you.

This isn’t my only opportunity to hunt, but I would like to at least try since I am going to be here for the foreseeable future. If all else fails, I know I can go chase TX whitetails and hogs on the cattle ranch that I grew up on.

Shoot for the moon on your first pick, then a middle of the road #2 with a decent #3, and a please let me hunt #4. This way if the stars align and you get drawn early, you get the glory tag and don't waste your high pick. Just my .02