How do y'all manage the Wyoming/New Mexico up-front system?

gtriple

WKR
After putting 15k on a credit card that basically all will get refunded, I'm wondering if there's a better system. Once it gets refunded, I'm going to just have a positive balance on my card. It's not a big deal, just inconvenient.

It'd be great if there was a no-payment 0% interest credit account just for this. I could just use a debit card, but I like the cash back rewards.

Interested in what everyone has to say here I just pay the money up front for applications but if I could get something back I'd be all ears

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

axeforce6

WKR
After putting 15k on a credit card that basically all will get refunded, I'm wondering if there's a better system. Once it gets refunded, I'm going to just have a positive balance on my card. It's not a big deal, just inconvenient.

It'd be great if there was a no-payment 0% interest credit account just for this. I could just use a debit card, but I like the cash back rewards.
You can have your credit card company mail you a check for your positive balance.

ericF

WKR
For New Mexico I have never had to worry about it. My credit card cycle ends on the 10'th and NM deadline is Mid March. I have always gotten the license refund at the end of April before the amount was due. There isn't much you can do about Wyoming except deal with it.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I bought a new rifle on the card before I applied, so until the draw is over & refunded I just make a min. payment.
When the draw is over I pay off the rifle/tags and I'm back to zero balance. Win Win.

Reactions: WKR

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I'm new at this (pre-new, even. haven't applied for western tags or points yet)...

...what's the $15k for?

I only ask if it has to do with tags/licenses, which it sounds like it does.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
I'm new at this (pre-new, even. haven't applied for western tags or points yet)...

...what's the $15k for?

I only ask if it has to do with tags/licenses, which it sounds like it does.
Wyoming and New Mexico require you to pay the full tag price up front and then refund most of it when you are eventually unsuccessful. NM isn't bad because it's only like 5-6 weeks between payment and refund. But Wyoming is several months. I applied for almost every animal in WY and half a dozen in NM.

WKR

WKR
I bought a new rifle on the card before I applied, so until the draw is over & refunded I just make a min. payment.
When the draw is over I pay off the rifle/tags and I'm back to zero balance. Win Win.
You sir have got it figured out

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
But you'll be paying interest on the remainder.....

Reactions: AZ8

npm352

WKR
Be nice if they would skip the up front payment like CO. Was super sweet to see applications go up 5 fold when that brilliant plan was hatched.
Both my dad and I drew Colorado goat with 3 preference and zero weighted back when you had to front the fees by check only. We got lucky, and there are other factors affecting odds, but that is all but impossible now. It was only in 2006 and 2011.

It is an inconvenience for sure, and it sucks for those who cannot swing it, but it does dramatically help draw odds.

Carefull with that "pay the minimum" technique. If after you've started paying interest/carrying a loan, when you pay off the monthly ballance listed on the invoice, if you keep using the card, you might still have a ballance that will trigger interest and fees, again and again...

To avoid this you need to get the ballance down to zero. So stop using the card for a few days, and then pay off the up-to-date ballance that is listed on-line, paying no attention to the monthly invoice. Ask your bank for details.

Cowbell

WKR
You get a new card every year with 0% for 12 months. I rotate three cards and get a new card every year and discard one. The card I just got has $700 cash back once you put 9k on the card over a four month period. It's a no brainer.

Also CC are absolutely the safest form of payment due to the ability to cancel and just get a new number and theft protection built in.