Horses or no horses

Krcooke92

FNG
I’ve recently read David long, and Robby dennings books and David was a big backpack and hunt type guy while Robby was more of a get far with horses then backpack type guy which do you prefer to hunt mule deer above timberline?

Overdrive

WKR
Horse's have there uses that's for sure, I'm in the saddle 60+ days guiding each Fall. But they have challenges as well. I think the average DIY guy can do just as well backpacking in especially for Deer.

Best option is horses to the general area then you get to hunt without having to take care of them. Bonus if that person also cooks.
In reality not many people can get all the meat, antlers and cape plus camp out of the backcountry in one trip. A horse sure makes that nice.

WCB

WKR
Really depends on your experience. IMO if starting from not a lot of horse experience and especially experience in mountains with horses, just good old burning boot leather is my suggestion. If you are stuck on getting horses or mules...with little experience, I personally would recommend taking a solid year or two of just learning them before taking them on a high country hunt.

When things go good it is gravy and they are a dream to have. Have stuff start going wrong, injured/sick horse, something as simple as throwing a show, etc. that is not the time to learn or "figure things out".

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
I've never been a horse person. I'll pack it out till I can't anymore.

Steve Rinella's brother uses llamas because he can't carry a pack like he used to.

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting with horses is for people who love both hunting and horses. My wife is one of those people so I guess you could end up in that situation the same way I did but I can say dealing with horses definitely ups the anxiety level. Anything with it's own feet and brain that you can't reason with (2-legged or 4) is a potential liability. Kidding of course. Kinda. Not really...

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
Always horses.... Some situations call for you to get dropped off and picked up though. No water or feed close to where your hunting. Im in good shape but don't need to break my back hauling heavy loads of meat anymore.

Horses are really good to get you back further than you want to carry your gear. Plus you get some extra creature comforts. But once you’re there, you’ll have to care for them. Which includes camping somewhere that has water/food for them. That’s usually down low and not up high where most people typically camp closer to the glassing areas.

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
We used llamas a few years ago to try something new from a reputable rancher in Colorado. If I could have shot those damn things in the back country, I would have. Talk about frustration. They would alternate laying down every 20 minutes and refuse to get up. Minimal load at less than 50# each and adequately watered. Total PIA...but very possible we just had a bad experience. I'll try them again....but not on my dime.

I’ve used both. Depends on terrain and your physical ability.

If physical ability limited, do horses.

If you can hike for miles in mtns, do llaams.

But… also depends on state. I find in Colorado (generally) you have closer access to trail for cart, bike, atv, truck than you do in Wyoming.

Depends on animal as well, elk vs deer because deer more doable than elk on your back.

And then time. If limited on time for packout, then pack animals help expedite your limited timeline.

Lastly is money to use pack animals and amount of them needed. Don’t expect to use only one horse or one llama. 2 or most likely 3 is sweet spot with all gear and packout.

In the end, I’m a big llama fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a big point to consider is the radar that comes with the horse. So many times I have been blindly going through areas with nothing in sight when my horse suddenly stops and points out an elk or deer that I never would have seen. Not that much differant than hunting with a dog.

Marble

WKR
I've hunted with horses in the back country for 20 years or so. It adds another element of gear and knowledge. Then you have to take the time to take care of them each day. Morning and evening water, moving the fence or high line, dealing with tangles. Some people hobble a few and tie up one. Then there is feed. Either bring certified hay or wet cob with appropriate gear. Got to know how to string them together and what order to put them in.

We don't normally hunt directly right off the horses, but it happens.

Having someone in camp during the day is helpful but not necessary.

You can get way back in the back country which is a plus. You end up being fresh at the beginning of your hunt, but you can get into the areas where outfitters are at and then you have to compete with those hunters. We try to stay in about the middle, beyond where guys will hike, not where the outfitters are at.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

7mm-08

WKR
Horses are an incredible transportation and packing tool. I know that some guys just absolutely love the lore surrounding them and see them as an essential part of their hunting experience. I'm not a horse guy in the least - 1,500 pounds of dynamite carrying me down the trails present in the country I hunt just strikes me as a recipe for disaster. My strategy lately has been to pay a packer to haul my stuff in and leave it at a waypoint. I walk in and go from there. I also have arranged for pack out services through inReach communications work well to keep weight off my aging back. The best of all worlds is llamas.

I’ve been packing with 2 donkeys the last several years…..still have to walk, but I can pack a bull out in 1 trip, which is nice as I approach 50 years old. Donkeys don’t require grain or eat as much as horses=much cheaper to own.

ThunderJack49

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been packing with 2 donkeys the last several years…..still have to walk, but I can pack a bull out in 1 trip, which is nice as I approach 50 years old. Donkeys don’t require grain or eat as much as horses=much cheaper to own.
Are yours screamers? My neighbor has two that just go off. Will wake you up out of a dead sleep in the middle of the night.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Zero chance I’d use a horse or mule unless they were necessary.

Often they’re necessary.

My donkeys aren’t too loud….they say “hi” when I get home at the end of the day, but that’s about it.

They packed 2 bulls off the mountain last year for my buddy & I -probably saved us 4 days of packing.

My wife likes them so much she tells me to not bother coming home if the donks aren’t with me.

Attachments

• IMG_3593.jpeg
    IMG_3593.jpeg
    570.2 KB · Views: 23