Horseback questions

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
I've done it again
We booked next year's hunt which now involves riding horseback for less than two hours in and the same out to a drop camp. I haven't ridden a horse since the 70's and want to be prepared for next fall when we hunt. I plan on taking lessons, but how many lessons should I take? I'm a big boy with replacement parts but I don't think they should interfere with the riding of the horse; the outfitter says they have an animal that will work with a nubie like me, but they said to practice some. The outfitter says if it snows like it did this year the horses will slip around a bunch and to be prepared for this. The horses will only be used to get us in and out and to pack out game. Looking for any and all advice

Rambucsabillbul

Lil-Rokslider
Just do all you can to get into good shape overall, riding in advance for someone who's not a cowboy will help to make your ride more comfortable and tolerable, when your not used to riding, it can be uncomfortable.
Be prepared to walk and lead, from time to time, do cardio as well.
Good luck, horse hunts and retrieval are awesome. Saves the legs and back, ...... a bit.

TJ

WKR
The only way to get use to riding a horse is by riding a horse. You’ll discover muscles you didn’t know you had. I am sure you know this though.

Be in good shape and be prepared to be a little sore after your ride.

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
As a horse hunter who takes non horse people hunting from time to time, being able to get on and off as quickly and efficiently as possible is my most desired trait. Stretch and do body weight squats. Learn the motion of swinging your leg over. Dude horses are most likely bullet proof but if they aren't getting off in a hurry could save you.

2 hr ride is super easy your ass won't even feel it the next day.

Learn how to mount and dismount.

Don't be scared on or of the horse.

And the second is a lot harder to do for some.

If you are a "big boy" you will likely should tell your outfitter how big so he can match you to the right size horses. I had a short round friend that rode one of my mares that started her on the downhill trend to death at 24. It made me very cautious about putting very heavy people on any of my stock.

Time riding is important but so is being around them enough to understand mannerisms and warning signs. They do talk even though they can't speak.

OLDnSLOW

FNG
Well this is my first post, but fwiw, here goes...

I'm not a rider; not much experience with horses but I too took (many) lessons to prepare for a horseback sheep hunt in Alaska. I thought just getting acquainted with being on the animal, basic commands, being able to walk/trot/gallop would certainly be a good idea. I wasn't worried too much about being sore because I was in pretty good shape and reasonably flexible.

No excitement, no drama on the way out. Long story short, I got my sheep and we broke camp to head back. Moments before we departed, my horse decided he needed to finish off a green plant in a dry creek bed. When I pulled on the reins to get him to follow my guide, he went completely western. Bucking, hopping, the whole bit. Somehow I remembered something once said to me that when in this situation you turn his head and he'll stop. Damned if that didn't work. Another second and I would have been among the rocks for sure.

Once settled (and at that time I had no idea as to what set him off) we started for base camp. I'm pretty shook but glued to the saddle. Then we came to our first washout. Dry, but obviously a deep cut from snow melt. My horse (and I) went down into it nice and slow, but when we hit the bottom my horse literally flew out of it like he was shot from a rocket. This happened each time we entered a cut, and there were several. By the time we reached base camp, I couldn't wait to dismount, but my horse was quivering under me, so I asked the wrangler to hold him while I dismounted. I could feel him vibrating. I swear I didn't do anything to agitate that animal; I was gentle with the reins (as instructed), I talked to him, but he was not at all happy with me on his back.

I was told later that he was "green broke" and I was his first rider that year.

So, long story for a quick answer. Yes any experience riding can help and probably will, and your physical conditioning will ease discomfort from long rides. But, horses are big, strong animals and as a client you just never know what you're going to get.

jimh406

WKR
The problem with learning to ride is that it can hurt when you come off. Of course, older means it takes longer to heal. I would work on your balance and assume the outfitter knows what he is talking about. It's hard to say if that's true, but hope it is since you will be trusting him. You might get the OLDnSlow treatment.

I used to field trial. I rode a lot of different horses since I didn't have my own. Much of the time, I could ride one of my friends horses. I can't say that 2 hours is going to be easy on a random horse. It really depends on the horse. Some are very comfortable and some are the opposite. One time it felt like I was hit on the backside with a board every time the horse took a step. I only had one really dangerous experience. But, safety is better than comfort.

Something spooked the Appaloosa I was on one time, and it decided to do a full on gallop through rocky terrain through sagebrush. I did turn him and get him to stop. I wasn't running a dog. That cost the wrangler any repeat business. I guess everyone else was more scared than me, and the officers of the club thought that was ridiculous to bring a horse like that. We were just lucky I had experience riding. My uncle trained Tennessee Walkers, so I rode quite a bit growing up.

In many areas, there are for pay trail rides. I think that would probably be helpful. I'd also start riding bicycles if you don't already. No, I'm not saying ride on city streets, but bike trails or similar will help you with your balance. But you'll also need to relax, so riding random horses will give you some experience with different personalities.

Appropriate footwear and clothes will be helpful getting in/out of the stirrups. I'd ask the outfitter if they have recommendations. Maybe show up a bit early to try out the horse you will ride will be helpful to get everything adjusted just right for you, or have the outfitter make a different plan for you.

Will_m

WKR
Two hours isn’t too bad; try to get off and walk some when you can. If it’s a good trail horse all you need to do is just not fall off it.

hiker270

WKR
Two hours may sound like a long time but is really a short ride to a drop camp. My ride this year was 2 hrs. 45 minutes and approx. 9 miles but a few years ago rode over 5 hrs. The outfitter I hunt with has a 275 lb. weight limit for his horses. He tells everyone if your bigger than that its a no go, not gonna kill his horses. I was enjoying the scenery so much the ride went by quickly. Never had an outfitter tell me to practice riding before a hunt but it's not a bad idea. Best thing you can do is be in good shape!

Brooks

WKR
Well this is my first post, but fwiw, here goes...

I'm not a rider; not much experience with horses but I too took (many) lessons to prepare for a horseback sheep hunt in Alaska. I thought just getting acquainted with being on the animal, basic commands, being able to walk/trot/gallop would certainly be a good idea. I wasn't worried too much about being sore because I was in pretty good shape and reasonably flexible.

No excitement, no drama on the way out. Long story short, I got my sheep and we broke camp to head back. Moments before we departed, my horse decided he needed to finish off a green plant in a dry creek bed. When I pulled on the reins to get him to follow my guide, he went completely western. Bucking, hopping, the whole bit. Somehow I remembered something once said to me that when in this situation you turn his head and he'll stop. Damned if that didn't work. Another second and I would have been among the rocks for sure.

Once settled (and at that time I had no idea as to what set him off) we started for base camp. I'm pretty shook but glued to the saddle. Then we came to our first washout. Dry, but obviously a deep cut from snow melt. My horse (and I) went down into it nice and slow, but when we hit the bottom my horse literally flew out of it like he was shot from a rocket. This happened each time we entered a cut, and there were several. By the time we reached base camp, I couldn't wait to dismount, but my horse was quivering under me, so I asked the wrangler to hold him while I dismounted. I could feel him vibrating. I swear I didn't do anything to agitate that animal; I was gentle with the reins (as instructed), I talked to him, but he was not at all happy with me on his back.

I was told later that he was "green broke" and I was his first rider that year.

So, long story for a quick answer. Yes any experience riding can help and probably will, and your physical conditioning will ease discomfort from long rides. But, horses are big, strong animals and as a client you just never know what you're going to get.
A green broke horse should never be a horse for an inexperienced rider in the mountains. You need a horse that’s been going up trails for a long time and is easy going and you probably won’t have any problem. I took a guy up to a camp last year and he was wearing light weight high dollar hunting pants and he got all chaffed….wear blue jeans when you’re riding. With a GOOD horse all you need to do is sit on him and let him follow the horse in front of him.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
The trail and terrain you’ll be riding in play a big part in how much preparing you need to do. Some places a two hour ride is easy-peasy, in others two hours can be absolute hell. Ask your outfitter what type of trail you need to be prepared for. Take a few riding lessons, but also (unpopular idea) think about doing some yoga. Even if it’s just at home. That’ll help with your body being limber and working on your balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fullfan

WKR
I was a Mounted State Trooper for 18 years. The more time you can spend in the saddle prior to your hunt, the better. And when you are mounted you have to be able to relax. Start by riding without your feet in the stirrups. This will teach you how to get your seat. And make sure you work on your core body strength.

Marble

WKR
I have been using horses for over 20 years elk hunting in the back country. My best advice is to just relax. Really relax!! A horse can you feel you tense up. Stock that is used for stuff like this is normally very broke, good to high quality horses and they usually have decent tack and saddles.

You will be nervous but really, will end up relaxing and enjoying it.

Make sure your stir ups are at the right length.

I wouldn't wear your best pants on the way in. Trees, rocks and other things have ripped lots of pants.

Wear something with a hood for snow and other debris when going through trees.

I wear my pack the entire time. It's acted as a pad when shit happens and you fall off your horse. You also will be sure to not lose it if something happens and a horse takes off. Which actually has never happened.

Your outfitter will get you guys lined up and provide some good instruction. They should have everything handled when you get there.

Edit: I came back and reread my post...autocorrect is just dumb. Sorryguys.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kowboy

FNG
dont laugh. i saddled 2 bales of hay and sat in the saddle reading a book for several weeks after back surgery.
Genius move.....people that don't ride and then do for the first time, they end up discovering ligaments and muscles they didn't even know they had....lol

Before my first hip replacement I couldn't sit in the saddle for more than 20 min at a time. Since eight weeks after the surgery, the saddle has been my most comfortable chair - for many hours per day.

Mikido

WKR
If you’re in hunting shape, you’ll be in 2hr horse shape. Don’t sweat it