Horse chit

When I was in my youth, one of my tasks was digging out the stalls before putting hay in the barn. These typically were filled in the back half about 3.5 ft. It would take me about 1-1.5 days to dig and pitch it out a window into a truck. If nothing else - the ammonia would clean out your sinisuses for the rest of the month.

Now I have reached the ugly stage in life. Kids are gone. Grandkids are too small and I'm back to digging out everything my girls dropped off during hunting season in the stalls.

I try not to kill myself by doing a tractor bucket at night and in the morning. It takes about 3-4 days at this rate.

Just out of curiosity - how do you get your stalls cleaned out? Kids? Machines? Hired hands? Etc.

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
By hand, we don’t have equipment. Once it cures out it makes great garden fertilizer. I dry lot them in the winter and turn them out for grazing periods a couple times a day from late April until snow cover.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Yep, does make great fertilizer.
And the only way I've ever done it was with a rake/shovel.

OP
P
Mine is primarily for shelter after a hard day. I blanket them and put them in the stalls fir the night. Since I ride for 40-45 days, the pile can get sizeable. Within a day or two its frozen solid till spring.

Clean it everyday by hand even in the winter. When it’s cold just get what you can and as it warms up grab the remainder. The hardest part is when you need to pull the rubber mats out and even things out i hate that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
I freekin’ hate box stalls. Damn. Been there.

Feel for you.

I’d recommend keeping your horses outdoors with the appropriate access to shelter, water and food.

Only keep them inside if there is a medical need or EXTREME, unsurvivable outdoor conditions that require brief, temporary shelter from the once in a hundred year storm.