Horns Without the Hide - Would You?

Saw this article and made me think: https://www.idahostatesman.com/outdoors/hunting/article258314798.html

Would you hunt an animal if you could keep the horns but not the meat (let's say because scientists use the meat for research)?

If it were my job or I lived in the unit and had extra time on my hands, I would. But I would not go out of my way to hunt an animal that I cannot eat the meat.

Then again you are helping with a greater cause of trying to erridacate CWD....

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I do not trophy hunt anymore, if I did, it would depend on whether I had the option. I mean if I were told I have to Surender the meat but not the horns/rack, then I would not hunt what ever the wildlife target was. I have donated wild game to good causes but, I now only hunt for meat for my table.

Sign me up!

Meat is a big driving factor, but if there was a valid reason for me not to keep the meat but gave more opportunity to hunt, I’m all about it

Vandy321

WKR
Saw this article and made me think: https://www.idahostatesman.com/outdoors/hunting/article258314798.html

Would you hunt an animal if you could keep the horns but not the meat (let's say because scientists use the meat for research)?

If it were my job or I lived in the unit and had extra time on my hands, I would. But I would not go out of my way to hunt an animal that I cannot eat the meat.

If they offering to pay for the tag, sure.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've always thought it would be cool to have a team that just comes along and cleans up behind me through the season. I keep killing, and they keep hauling them out. Where they take them......I don't care. Drop them off at all the local soup kitchens. That would be a fun elk season.

Zappaman

WKR
Nope. Same reason i never went to Africa. Something is missing if you just shoot stuff for the horns.

As always, ymmv
I passed up a seat to Africas because I discovered I couldn't bring the meat home. I don't hunt for horns, but in 20 decent horn opportunities here in Kansas (over about 11 years since I've lived here), I've only taken TWO bucks and they were both over 7 years old. One rack wasn't much, the other is in my avatar pic above (missing about 15" of tines broken off while fighting). Both dressed about 250 lbs and both had good genetics (tender meat) luckily.

But, if my biologist buddy asked me to come hunt CWD deer in his management area- I'd do it just for the fun with my buddies. The last thing I'd expect is a set or horns though. All my horns are on the wall (or on the garage walls) and I stopped "horn hunting" many years ago preferring doe or cow elk on the table.

Maverick1

WKR
I’m more of a meat hunter. (Sure, shooting animals with large antlers is always nice….)
I’ve bought - and filled - quite a few antlerless tags over the years, just for the experience of being able to hunt, fill a tag, and keep the meat. (Many units and species it’s steep drawing odds for an antlered-tag, where drawing an antlerless tag is relatively easy.). So, I’ve never really considered going in the opposite direction: hunting something and not keeping any of the meat, regardless of antlers. To each their own I suppose.

Where did it say you couldn’t keep the meat? Did I miss that part?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk