Hornady ELD-x vs ABLR 6.5

jtrav543

FNG
Anybody shot animals with both these bullets. I’ve hunted plenty with the ABLR in my 6.5x284 but can no longer find them. Thinking of switching to the Eld-x. Thoughts?

We’ve killed a bunch of deer and elk, and a couple of antelope, with various Eldx bullets.

162 Eldx in 7mm Rem Mag, 150 eldx in 7mm-08.

I have lots of Partitions and Accubonds but Eldx are all we use.

Edit to add, I tried loading the ABLR but couldn’t find accuracy.

P

Last edited:

Bater

WKR
Not sure what your question is but ultimately the LRAB is a little tougher than the Eld-X. On close shots I’ve noticed far less meat damage with the Nosler, but the Hornady has almost always been more consistently accurate.

Anybody shot animals with both these bullets. I’ve hunted plenty with the ABLR in my 6.5x284 but can no longer find them. Thinking of switching to the Eld-x. Thoughts?
I got some from scheels a month ago or more. Looks like they still have some.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

SNelson

FNG
150 ABLR @ 2975. I shot a 3yo (?) mule deer just below the throat patch at 75 yards, give r take. Bullet did not exit. The head was very easy to remove.
That's all I got...

83cj-7

WKR
I find the ELD-x much more “explosive” than the ABLR. The ABLR definitely does damage but I find that it almost always exited an animal. The ELD-x hardly ever exited. The only ABLR I ever found went in the neck of a deer and I found it in the rear quarter. Perfect mushroom and retained 70% of its weight.

Most of my experience between the two comes from .280 Rem with the 162 ELD-x and the 168 ABLR. Both bullets were equally accurate .050 to .060 off the lands. I would say I shot about a dozen deer with the ELD-x and maybe twenty with the ABLR.

dwills

FNG
I have both of these bullets to work up for a new 7 rem mag build along with bergers. All are good bullets, going with which one shoots best. Hoping for ablr or eldx

Ursus

FNG
150 ABLR @ 2975. I shot a 3yo (?) mule deer just below the throat patch at 75 yards, give r take. Bullet did not exit. The head was very easy to remove.
That's all I got...
Out of your RUM or another rifle?

I’ve used both on deer. Personally I don’t know that I have preference from a terminal performance standpoint but accuracy wise the ELD-X has been far superior in my experience. If it were me I’d get the Hornadys and not look back.

Louro

FNG
ELD-X for me, I had a hard time trying to find a good load for the ABLR for my rifle. My friend had good luck with ALBR and his gun. We have compare and have not much difference on terminal performances. Other than the price I don't see much difference. But, is all about what your gun will like.