Home built muzzleloader

Has anyone bought those 300-500 flintlock kits and hunted with them? Are the actually accurate?

EdP

WKR
There are some excellent kits on the market such as the Chambers kits and the Kibler kits. I don't believe any of those are in the price range mentioned. What kits are you referring to?

Note that quality barrels start at about $250 and quality locks at about $200 and there is a lot more that goes into a rifle.

87TT

WKR
I have an old kit gun .45 cal flintlock. CVA before Traditions. It is accurate and after learning and tuning the lock, fairly reliable. The lock on inexpensive guns are the weak point.
My "kit" that I have now was north of $1000.00 and took me 140 hours to build.
Kind of get what you pay for.

rojocop

FNG
I've been holding out for a flintlock for quite a while now. Hopefully one day.

EdP

WKR
I have an old kit gun .45 cal flintlock. CVA before Traditions. It is accurate and after learning and tuning the lock, fairly reliable. The lock on inexpensive guns are the weak point.
My "kit" that I have now was north of $1000.00 and took me 140 hours to build.
Kind of get what you pay for.

This is spot on.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
"You get what you pay for" is a hard fact with kits. Quality and finish are evident the more you pay. Dixie Gun Works has a number of quality Pedersoli kits in the $700-750 range. I bought a .50 Scout in flintlock in 2019 from them and it is an extremely accurate rifle using only 60 grains of 3F powder and patched round ball and .10 patch. It will easily do hole-on-hole at 50 yards and groups very tight out to 75 when I'm having a good 'eye' day. The kit was not hard to finish, just take your time. I put a Marble's Bullseye rear sight on mine, mounted in the rear dovetail and a green fiber optic in the front.