Holster thoughts or recommendations

Bsevans5

FNG
Here's my journey so far...

For the first few years I hunted i just put a 9mm in a cheap kydex IWB holster in the loop of webbing just next to the waist buckle so it basically sat at the appendix spot. It worked just fine and after all the time in researching and money ive spent trying things out i wish i had never switched it up. For some reason i decided that I didnt think that method was awesome because I'd have to transfer it to my pants when the pack was off. Last year i tried carrying in a chest rig/bino pouch from hill people gear. Stays covered from dirt and brush and concealed around others so in a lot of ways it was a win, but more weight on the front...even with lifter straps. I got a good deal on a 10mm recently so that would be even more weight on the chest.

I'm now thinking about going back to some sort of waist/drop holster option. are there any issues going through thick brush or crawling around when carrying in a drop holster? I wonder about issues scratching the firearm or dirt/debris with a drop holster and the firearm being partially exposed. Is that ever a problem? Is it awkward to hike with a drop holster?

What works best for you?

rclouse79

WKR
I had a hard holster that mounted to my hip belt. The gun stuck out and hit my arm when hiking which was annoying. I switched to a thin pouch that attached to the mollee on my hip belt. I didn’t even notice it was there, but had quick access in the event I decided to launch an arrow at a bear. I also like that it keeps the gun out of sight and protected from debris.

bsnedeker

WKR
Safariland makes a mid-drop holster that gives you best of both worlds....it isn't as low as a true drop leg holster, but gives you enough drop to get it well below your pack and easy to draw. That's what I would use if I didn't like my HPG chest rig so much.

Safariland makes a mid-drop holster that gives you best of both worlds....it isn't as low as a true drop leg holster, but gives you enough drop to get it well below your pack and easy to draw. That's what I would use if I didn't like my HPG chest rig so much.
I’ll second this will the a caveat… tried this and with the quick detach QLS fork it made the holster angle away from my body too much. Direct attach would be fine or, what I do, is the RTI system. Same mid drop with quick detach, just less bulky.

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
I second the HPG chest rig. The Runners Kit bag is my go to for when I am carrying my 9mm whether I am running or hunting. During hunts with the kit bag stuffed to the gills it holds everything from binos to pistol to phone to chapstick.

When I am doing long trail runs in predator country it usually is full with a couple protein bars, pistol, and I will run a backpack for water/layers.

In Alaska I wear the GunFighters Kenai Chest Holster for my 10mm. I wear a bino harness over the top of this - but the gun is still super accessible.

I have a drop holster from Safariland for a .40 S&W. Took it on a West Texas Aoudad hunt climbing up and down steep terrain, through brush etc. It was the most uncomfortable & miserable thing I have worn to carry a sidearm. I took it off and put them both in my backpack the rest of the trip. It simply wasn’t worth it.

OP
B

Bsevans5

FNG
I had a hard holster that mounted to my hip belt. The gun stuck out and hit my arm when hiking which was annoying. I switched to a thin pouch that attached to the mollee on my hip belt. I didn’t even notice it was there, but had quick access in the event I decided to launch an arrow at a bear. I also like that it keeps the gun out of sight and protected from debris.
Do you ever transfer the pistol to your hip somehow when you have your pack off?

OP
B

Bsevans5

FNG
What have you done to make the hpg set up comfortable for Many miles of hiking? I find that the weight starts to cause straps to loosen and then it starts to sag a little bit but even if I can keep them tight after a handful of miles it starts to be a lot of weight on the front and is uncomfortable. I will just add that I'm not a small framed guy. I'm 6'1" and about 215 lbs with an athletic build, so it's not that the weight is too much for me to carry, it just becomes pretty uncomfortable

rclouse79

WKR
Do you ever transfer the pistol to your hip somehow when you have your pack off?
I only carry it on my hip belt during bow season. I had an opportunity at a bear at 30 yards a couple years ago. He knew I was there. The time I spent contemplating how long it would take to get my pistol out of the hood contributed to not taking the shot. I pretty much have my pack on the whole time I am hunting. If I camp out I will throw my pistol in the bivy with me.
If I am rifle hunting solo for bear I will bring a holster I can attach to my belt. I only put that on if I am tracking a bear I shot with my rifle.

OP
B

Bsevans5

FNG
I second the HPG chest rig. The Runners Kit bag is my go to for when I am carrying my 9mm whether I am running or hunting. During hunts with the kit bag stuffed to the gills it holds everything from binos to pistol to phone to chapstick.

When I am doing long trail runs in predator country it usually is full with a couple protein bars, pistol, and I will run a backpack for water/layers.

In Alaska I wear the GunFighters Kenai Chest Holster for my 10mm. I wear a bino harness over the top of this - but the gun is still super accessible.
I'll ask the same thing I asked @bsnedeker...
What have you done to make the hpg set up comfortable for Many miles of hiking? I find that the weight starts to cause straps to loosen and then it starts to sag a little bit but even if I can keep them tight after a handful of miles it starts to be a lot of weight on the front and is uncomfortable. I will just add that I'm not a small framed guy. I'm 6'1" and about 215 lbs with an athletic build, so it's not that the weight is too much for me to carry, it just becomes pretty uncomfortable

I bought a lot of HPG kit bags to find the right combo. Runners kit bag, HRKB, recon kit with bino pouch, original kit bag for hiking/urban trips/and such, and the belt back I can use as a sling bag. WAY TOO much invested for sure. saw the kenai holsters when I was trying to figure out how to carry with me at all times when hunting but thought it would be awkward to have that and then a bino harness over it. I don't want to keep spending money on bino pouches/harnesses. I want to like the HPG set up. Just need to figure out how to make it comfortable over 7-12 miles.

Sometimes I think ignorance really is bliss. If I never dove down this rabbit hole I'd have a lot more money in my pocket and a system that wasn't perfect, but worked good enough. Now I'm on the quest for "the one" but not sure it exists

bsnedeker

WKR
I guess I've never noticed it being particularly uncomfortable. I mean, after a long day of hunting EVERYTHING is uncomfortable and is always a huge relief to do the bow, pack, boots, and chest rig... but I don't find the chest rig any more uncomfortable than anything else.

Only thing I'll add is I carry a single stack 9mm, so it is a small gun so that might be a factor.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bsevans5

FNG
I guess I've never noticed it being particularly uncomfortable. I mean, after a long day of hunting EVERYTHING is uncomfortable and is always a huge relief to do the bow, pack, boots, and chest rig... but I don't find the chest rig any more uncomfortable than anything else.

Only thing I'll add is I carry a single stack 9mm, so it is a small gun so that might be a factor.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Yeah. Single stack would definitely matter I think. I was carrying a cz p10c plus extra magazine.

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
I'll ask the same thing I asked @bsnedeker...

I bought a lot of HPG kit bags to find the right combo. Runners kit bag, HRKB, recon kit with bino pouch, original kit bag for hiking/urban trips/and such, and the belt back I can use as a sling bag. WAY TOO much invested for sure. saw the kenai holsters when I was trying to figure out how to carry with me at all times when hunting but thought it would be awkward to have that and then a bino harness over it. I don't want to keep spending money on bino pouches/harnesses. I want to like the HPG set up. Just need to figure out how to make it comfortable over 7-12 miles.

Sometimes I think ignorance really is bliss. If I never dove down this rabbit hole I'd have a lot more money in my pocket and a system that wasn't perfect, but worked good enough. Now I'm on the quest for "the one" but not sure it exists
I'm carrying a p365xl with a 15rd and optic when I'm using my setup. I have the rig super tight when I put it on. Very tight in my chest and shoulders. I have noticed slight discomfort from the weight but the setup doesn't slip down.

My biggest issue is when it's super warm or I'm running it rubs sweat into my chest and on runs longer than 15 miles it can get obnoxious.

The kenai is great, but the lack of modularity sucks and having to wear it with a different rig sucks too. It also isn't good to run with.

Like you I've been through 4 different rigs, and I'm debating selling it all to run the FHF rig or even trying the new cheap 5.11 setup.

So like you're saying I have a few good options, but nothing that's my "quiver killer"

def90

WKR

I'm 6' 195-200lbs and carry a G19 in my HPG chest pack. I don't really experience any issues with it feeling heavy. I also have the bino pouch attached so that's additional weight added. As for the straps slipping I haven't had that issue either but if I did I would just get them set where I want them and run some duct tape around them to hold in place.

I think the key to chest rigs whether its the HPG or a tactical plate carrier is to keep them high and tight. If you let them sag too low and flop around you are going to notice that they are there pretty quickly.

Now if I can just get my Mystery Ranch hip belt to stay put..

Last edited:

JD Jones

WKR
+for the Kenai. Not sure there’s any 1 perfect option but that’s the route I went down for my outdoors carry anyways.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience, drop leg holsters suck in the woods. You will collect a lot of dirt and debris in your holster. I found on wet mornings and rainy days, my holster and pistol would both be soaked from walking through brush. I found it to be really loud, especially because my holster was kydex and not wrapped like some of them. Some drop legs are hard to keep secure on your leg. I’ve found a chest rig to work best for me followed by a hard mount holster at belt level.

Marble

WKR
I used a drop holster on my right thigh for warrant service for a long time, which included a lot of driving and hiking in rural terrain. Going through brush etc.

It made the lifting movement of my legs heavier because on the bending of the leg. A belt holster was more comfortable, and faster, than the drop.

For back packing, I carry in my belt pouch. It does take longer to get it out of the pouch. But speed of draw is not going to be the reason I have a failure with my gun.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
In my experience, drop leg holsters suck in the woods. You will collect a lot of dirt and debris in your holster. I found on wet mornings and rainy days, my holster and pistol would both be soaked from walking through brush. I found it to be really loud, especially because my holster was kydex and not wrapped like some of them. Some drop legs are hard to keep secure on your leg. I’ve found a chest rig to work best for me followed by a hard mount holster at belt level.
I went this whole process years ago and bought a drop leg holster. I found it to be so awkward it never even made it out of the house before I sold it.

OP
B

Bsevans5

FNG
I'm carrying a p365xl with a 15rd and optic when I'm using my setup. I have the rig super tight when I put it on. Very tight in my chest and shoulders. I have noticed slight discomfort from the weight but the setup doesn't slip down.

My biggest issue is when it's super warm or I'm running it rubs sweat into my chest and on runs longer than 15 miles it can get obnoxious.

The kenai is great, but the lack of modularity sucks and having to wear it with a different rig sucks too. It also isn't good to run with.

Like you I've been through 4 different rigs, and I'm debating selling it all to run the FHF rig or even trying the new cheap 5.11 setup.

So like you're saying I have a few good options, but nothing that's my "quiver killer"
I've got the runners kit bag and it works great for a p365xl or 43x and a run. I guess I could hunt with a smaller pistol so it's not ad heavy. A fully loaded cz p10c with an extra mag plus binos gets a little weighty.