Hola from New Mexico!

Gila

WKR
Sold our small ranch in South Dakota to become permanent "snow birds" in New Mexico several years ago. I miss bowhunting for whitetails and the pronghorn hunting in South Dakota. Here in New Mexico it has been very difficult to get drawn for pronghorn and deer. Elk is another story though. I have been lucky to be drawn twice. Last year was a bust. The tag was one of only 10 tags total for the entire season any legal firearm, in the middle of October. Last year was the first time Elk were hunted in the unit. I took a chance on it as 3rd choice, rolled snake eyes and lost. This year however, I drew a great elk tag and I have high hopes.

I have been lurking here for a couple of years now getting some ideas from the rifle experts for my rifle build. I typically don't do social media at all, not even Facebook. Seems like someone always wants to pee on your tree. But I thought I would see who the lucky tag winners were and participate in the excitement of the draw. There is a good bunch of folks here so I will hang around and learn something. :alien:

Daniel0307

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome! I drew a very nice tag last for the first time. No dice this year. Just curious how many times you have put in for elk and deer as a resident and not get drawn?

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
Thank you for the welcome. There is quite a bit of experience and knowledge here. People have been generally nice and quite civil so far. I am just an average Joe that occasionally hunts. Now that I am retired I have more time to hunt and fish. I do all of my own work on my bows and guns. I build my own arrows. I am thinking about getting into handloading. Maybe I can share a few things that I have learned along the way. 😁

ZDR

WKR
Welcome to Rokslide. Good to see another fellow NM here.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
Welcome! I drew a very nice tag last for the first time. No dice this year. Just curious how many times you have put in for elk and deer as a resident and not get drawn?
My third season in the draw. The first season I wasn't drawn for anything. Last season I drew my third choice elk and it totally sucked....I took a chance on a newly opened unit. This season drew first choice Elk. No deer or pronghorn tags yet which is really killing me. I put in for the wounded military gemsbok hunt every year but no luck so far.

Daniel0307

Lil-Rokslider
My third season in the draw. The first season I wasn't drawn for anything. Last season I drew my third choice elk and it totally sucked....I took a chance on a newly opened unit. This season drew first choice Elk. No deer or pronghorn tags yet which is really killing me. I put in for the wounded military gemsbok hunt every year but no luck so far.
Congrats on your draw this year hope it’s one of the 16’s! Thanks for the info and thank you for your service!

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
Congrats on your draw this year hope it’s one of the 16’s! Thanks for the info and thank you for your service!
Yes, it is! And first rifle to boot! Really stoked! I''m looking for "redemption" 😁

Last edited: