Hoffman Summit/Explorer Light, Salewa Crow, --->Replace Soloman 4D 3gtx

sndmn11

WKR
I don't like boots.

I probably need to replace my Salomon 4D 3gtx boots this year, or for sure after this year. I like that they are flexible and don't restrict my motion. I have been wearing salewa cross country type shoes and low "approach" shoes (speed beat and mountain trainer 2) and they do ok for mild slopes.

Nearly every shoe I have worn, I wear out the area where my heel and achilles meet, and I believe this is why I don't like stiff boots because that seems to translate into fast blister there. About a year and a half ago, I bought three pairs of brooks runners so I could swap every day, and the soles are fine, but each has a worn spot at the achilles/heel and they now are wearing my socks.

I'd order new Salomon's but the new version seems to not be as well thought of on the big online hiking ecommerce sites.

I am thinking of a 6" boot, an 8" would be fine too but I associate height with upper stiffness.

I do not need insulation, I have some Hoffman pacs purchased this year and they should be great.

I am looking at boots such as the @HoffmanBoots @Hoffman Boots Explorer Light/Summit, Salewa Crow or mountain trainer mid, RMSgear has Hanwag Makra, and whatever else is out there. I called Hoffman and they said the boots they sell can be resoled, so that is cool.

Who has played with the Hoffman Explorer light or Summit? who has other sugggestions?

Sounds like your heel is narrow and is moving too much in the heel cup. My Danners were opened by a local cobbler who then was able to add some Spenco foam to tighten the heel cup.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
crispi makes a stiff sole boot (can't remember the model) with a floppy upper if that's what you're looking for.

as far as the heel pocket, the briksdal i wear currently have a great heel pocket. they are adjustable in the forefoot due to the lacing structure. fwiw, i had heel blister most of my life until i figured out how to lock the mid foot into place and get a real heel pocket sized to my foot.