Hip Waders in Alaska on my Moose hunt?

bobhunts

WKR
I went to Cabelas and bought a pair of the Bog Buster hip waders. After they shipped them to my house ( not in store) I tried them on and they seem to be pretty well fitting given that I will be wearing heavy wool socks. The soles did seem soft and flimsey. I really like the straps that keep the shoe part on your feet when in deep muck. The bad side is that they are non-insulated. Tonight I ordered a pair of hip waders from Macks Prarie Wings made by Frog Togs and they came with good reviews on that web site. The latter pair are 600 grm insulated and less money. I can return either pair when I have both at home to do a side by side in fit. So here is my question...if any of you out there ( where I will get my best review ) have used either of these can you give me a reason to keep one over the other? I know the insulation is a plus so I am leaning towards the Frog Togs. Just looking for the best lightweight hip wader! Bob.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If weight is the biggest driving force and not insulation check out Wiggys Waders.

bowuntr

WKR
I don't have any experience with the two you mentioned. I was going to get the Wiggys but decided on lightweight chest waders. Glad I did.... hip waders would have greatly limited my hunt. I'll be back in the same area in September... can't wait. Good luck on your hunt. Ed F

jetcraft

FNG
I also bought lightweight waders with lace up wading boots from Cabelas for my 2012 Alaska moose hunt- I ended up with the 'waist high' version, not the chest waders, and couldn't have been happier. We had seven straight days of solid rain in 2012 and the waders worked great as rain gear as well as for wading. I tried rubber hip boots but felt they were too heavy and hard to walk in. My hunting partner brought cabelas 'roll up' hip waders and wished he had the waist high.

Ray

WKR
Packing my caribou out in this years monsoon rain storms made me really like my cabelas dry plus waist high pants. Held up great to about seven total miles of thick willow brush busting.

OP
B

bobhunts

WKR
Regarding hip waders....

Where we will be hunting only hip waders should be needed. I turned in the Cabelas Bog Busters. The Frog Tog ones are insulated and seem to be way tougher in construction. I tried them on at home and they go all the way to the crotch and I will be using these as the other ones are probably only good in florida where the temperature is much warmer. Good luck too all! I hope I can post something after I get back at the end of next September. Bob.

Last year on a 10day float hunt I wore the Cabelas Millenium Hunter. They worked great, had great mobility with them and never had any leaking issues. They are double layered outer for rip protection. I actually ripped the outer layer the first day of the hunt, I caught the waders on the corner of the wood plank seat on our raft, I was stressing out that there were going to leak because of the tear but they head up great. Lots of pockets and very comportable. They also had lace up boots and worked great for slogging threw the Peat bogs.
s7_831370_830_01_zps310d8864.jpeg

Here you can see the tear below my left knee, lucked out and didnt leak the whole trip!
IMG_0056-1_zpsa87c1e84.jpg

I would definetly use them again.
IMG_0010-1_zps4c245f28.jpg

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
Why do you thing you need the insulated? I went on a moose hunt the end of Sept. beginning of Oct a and I wore the Bog Busters. I didn't need insulated boots/waders. Didn't have any durability issues, I really like the waders. They are comfortable to walk in is the main thing. Been wearing them coon hunting for several years and they have held up well. No leaks, no problems and years old.

VernAK

WKR
Most AK moose hunting is in September and insulated boots are usually not needed by most of us.
Since Marathon went out of business, I haven't had a really good hip boot.....most have flimsy soles as you stated.

OP
B

bobhunts

WKR
Lmez the reason I went insulated is if I actully do end up tagging a bull moose and it dies in water.. all of the reviews I have read on the ones that are un-insulated had a complaint regarding that. Standing in cold water will make you wish the feet were warmer. Some even said they had to build a fire to warm up. I don't wan't to have to buld a fire doing a drop camp and three of us with tags. Stay as silent and scent free as we can and hope we all fill our tags. Two of us have bought both sets of hip waders and agreed that the latter pair where much better built and we will use that pair. Coming from SD I would think you would understand that standing in cold water will bleed the heat from your body. I just want to be sure I am.. if anything over prepared vs underprepared. I am glad you liked the bog busters and they are dis-continued so if you have a size 10 in those waders there is another one for sale. I just want the best I can afford to buy and the hip waders I ended up keeping where what IMO the best for the money. They where $35.00 cheaper than the Bog-tags and seemed to me much better built. I will try them out in an ice coated river before I go to see if they actually work as I would hate to get to the Yukon delta and find they are junk. I'm sure there are hip waders out there that cost more ..and I would never wear them again other than a trip to Alaska unlike my pack selection. That is very close to a boot selection for me. I am glad they worked for you.Bob.

Last edited:

Romo

FNG
If you're going to use hip boots, then the best you can get are Lacrosse.

OP
B

bobhunts

WKR
I would agree Romo. I just wanted a pair that are a little lighter and the frog togs fit the bill having the top half being a cordura type of fabric. The do seem very solid.Bob.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use SIMMS chest waders rolled down to my waist and clipped. These serve as both waders, adjustable to the chest high when needed, as well as rain bottoms. We do most of our hunts from the raft, but using SIMMS lends the advantage of terrain negotiation and rugged comfort all season long.

my bull 1.jpg

Daniel_M

WKR
Larry, that does not look like an ideal place to butcher up a big bull but I suppose it could have been worse :)

LarryB is a man of opportunity, and when its time, it's go time!

Don't always get a primo landing pad for moose, especially on the float!

7am, from camp, opposite side of the river, in my skivvies.
247787_461912007181904_170092424_n.jpg

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
nice shot D. Only in Alaska can guys claim to butcher a moose in skivvies. Sweet!

Actually, i prefer to field dress a moose in up to 10-12" flowing water. The flow keeps blood washed away and the meat and hands stay much cleaner. Although, getting that bull to shallow water by hand was epic. I filmed this hunt and will release the full feature this spring. Look for Terra Incognita sometime in the next couple of months...

larry
http://www.pristineventures.com