Hinge/Thumb Releases

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I have always shot an index finger trigger release, and I do like it and it works well except for the fact that I struggle with punching it sometimes, which makes it less consistent than I would like. I would really like some opinions on hinge releases (for practice and for hunting) and thumb releases. I have heard that its much harder to quickly shoot with a hinge release if you needed to get one off ASAP. Also, is it practical to practice with a hinge and hunt with a thumb release? I read somewhere that it helps with target panic/punching the trigger, but just let me know what you guys think if you have some experience with this. Thanks.

I found that switching to a thumb release helped reduce my trigger punching but it still required(s) some work at the range to keep it that way. I like having the option of punching one off in a hunting situation for sure.

I haven't spent a lot of time with a hinge release but personally, I didn't see it as very practical for hunting because as you stated, it would be hard to get a shot off in a hurry.

I tend to practice with a back tension and hunt/indoor league with thumb release. Helps with shot anticipation. But I did have to make sure both releases have same length of neck so anchor point is close as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoBeav

WKR
I've been hunting with a hinge for almost 10 years. I started out with the intention to only use it for practice because everyone was saying that you can't hunt with a hinge, but then I found that I shot very well with it, so I started hunting with it. I have never had an accidental release or missed out on an animal because of it.

Keep in mind that you can trigger punch a hinge. It's not a cure for target panic.

OP
jlw0142

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I tend to practice with a back tension and hunt/indoor league with thumb release. Helps with shot anticipation. But I did have to make sure both releases have same length of neck so anchor point is close as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to hear. Great advice about neck length too, thank ya.

Yeah I concur on punching. You can make any release fire on demand. There is no magical cure. You have to work on your mental game for sure. Lots of tutorials out there on how to fix punching. On another note you can fire almost any release with back tension if it is set up correctly. I play with a hinge occasionally, but prefer thumb and index releases.

OP
jlw0142

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I've been hunting with a hinge for almost 10 years. I started out with the intention to only use it for practice because everyone was saying that you can't hunt with a hinge, but then I found that I shot very well with it, so I started hunting with it. I have never had an accidental release or missed out on an animal because of it.

Keep in mind that you can trigger punch a hinge. It's not a cure for target panic.
Gotcha, I appreciate the advice and the cautionary reminder. Great to hear that you havent had any hunting issues with it. Also, would you say that it makes a pretty significant difference in your shooting? Or just more of a preference?

I'm fairly new to compound and have shot trad for a lot longer. When I first got a compound years ago I was a terrible shot and I punched the crap out of my index release like crazy. I had no idea I was doing it wrong but I could barely keep it on a Rinehart 18-1 at 40 metres.

I've picked up a compound again recently and have mucked around with some index releases, thumb buttons, and hinges. I like the hinges the most at the moment and I feel my shot process has benefited a lot from using a hinge, especially when I've been used to the idea of activating a shot with back tension when shooting my trad bows.

You can definitely 'punch' a hinge, though. The two I've been using are Scott Backspin and B3 Infinity Pro. I shoot them both with a click, which I enjoy because it gives me an idea of when I'm close, but that also means I can get to the click and give some quick increase of tension and crack the shot off. Not saying it's horrible and not saying my shot process is suffering, but it's definitely something to be mindful of. I reckon a higher-end hinge like a Scott Ascent or the UV2 might be good to try as you can change the travel to the click, but also change the travel from the click to fire, which you can't do on the two hinges I have.

Since picking up the compound again I've killed one critter with a hinge and one with a thumb button (as a spare in my bino harness after breaking my hinge, which is now fixed) and I think I'll continue hunting with a hinge.

The one place I find the hinge tricky is shooting in high winds.

big44a4

WKR
I only shoot my hinge maybe 3-10 shots a week. For me it does not translate to the the thumb release. I tried shooting a hinge all indoor league last year and my 3D scores dropped way off and struggled to effectively shoot a thumb.

This year I stuck with the thumb for indoor and it has translated to a faster start when getting outside (18+ on both 3D I’ve shot to start year). Always a work in progress either way just a hinge is not my preference. Always shot my best scores and most accurate with a thumb. Two seasons ago I averaged 27+ over 15 shoots for the year when staying committed to the thumb year round.