Hiking hills that are clay/mud

So I am in the process of getting myself in shape for some western trips. I live in West Michigan, so mountain training is a no go. However, I do have a decent ravine system around my property that I can do side hilling and up/downs with 100' or so elevation in spots. The kicker is that it is 95% clay soil, aka a muddy mess and slick! Summertime equates to the lovely poison ivy bloom and tons of it around me.

My question is how to approach these conditions to get training in. I plan on using trekking poles, but will that be enough to help with footing or would/could crampons or spikes help? Not sure if they would just be gummed up in the first 2 minutes or how well they "self clean" in the sense of being usable in muddy conditions.

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
Trekking poles are best for hiking and maintain the balance in mountains and you smoothly cover distance.

taskswap

WKR
I wouldn't use crampons personally. In mud I wouldn't call them "self cleaning" so much as "more accumulating." Here in CO we call spring "mud season" and run into this all the time, and what's worse, you're expected to stay in the center of the trail in the deep mud because if everybody walked to the sides, it would look like a bulldozer ran through there in a few years. Honestly, I think trekking poles and good, high-ankle boots are your best bet. It's just going to be a tough slog and nothing's going to make it fun.

When you come out West a common trick if you're in areas with a lot of horses (where the trails tend to be extremely muddy even in fall) is to hike as early in the morning as you can - I usually set out around 3am. The best way to hike in mud is if it's not mud when you do it - when the ground is frozen. You might find the same near you while you're training.

If it was me, I'd also be testing out any/all new gear right now. Rifle sling, new pack pouch, all that stuff. This is the best time to find out that new buckle creaks as you hike, and needs some oil, or that new sling attachment doesn't stay put when you're scrambling up a hill...