High end factory vs semi custom

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I plan to buy a quality rifle with intent of using it for 90% of my hunting for the foreseeable future. I’ve set a budget ($3k for the rifle) listed out my requirements, selected a caliber and identified my options. Now I’ve got analysis paralysis as I’m stuck choosing between the Fierce Rival, which has everything I want other than a locking bolt, or building a semi custom off of a Tikka action.

The Fierce Rival has me worried I’ll regret not getting the locking bolt. With the semi-custom route there’s no way to handle the rifle before building it and I’m also concerned by the some of the gunsmith ‘horror’ stories I’ve heard.

Any advice to help me make a decision would be appreciated!

JiminAZ

FNG
Three grand will get you an Alamo Precision Maverick. Built your way. I opted for the ANTi action for a few hundred extra.

Kind of depends on how light of a gun you want and other specifics. Very happy with mine though and I think it is a lot of gun for the money.

Timplant

Lil-Rokslider
For 3,000 you could buy EXACTLY what you want from some of the “budget custom” builders. Like APR, as aforementioned. In todays day and age there is no reason to settle for a factory rifle you won’t LOVE

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with the semi custom.

A good quality barrel is the biggest factor in the rifles ability to shoot. Who knows what you get with a factory gun.

I’m curious what difference a locking bolt makes?

OP
U

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Three grand will get you an Alamo Precision Maverick. Built your way. I opted for the ANTi action for a few hundred extra.

Kind of depends on how light of a gun you want and other specifics. Very happy with mine though and I think it is a lot of gun for the money.

I’ll take a look at APR. I haven’t come across them yet.

Are you sure the Fierce doesnt have a locking safety? I have one and it has a locking safety

The edge and the rage have a 3 position safety while the rival has a 2 position safety. The rage doesn’t come in 280ai and doesn’t have a vertical grip. I know I’m being picky but just trying to buy once and cry once.

Anti
Prefit
Triggertech
Stock of choice.
When I priced this option out I was above $3k with the cost of a barrel install, bottom metal, and cerakoting.

I’ll take a look at APR. I haven’t come across them yet.

The edge and the rage have a 3 position safety while the rival has a 2 position safety. The rage doesn’t come in 280ai and doesn’t have a vertical grip. I know I’m being picky but just trying to buy once and cry once.

When I priced this option out I was above $3k with the cost of a barrel install, bottom metal, and cerakoting.
Has to be pretty close?
For a steel barrel? Order stainless and you don't need ceracoat.

JiminAZ

FNG
7A83E630-22E9-464D-9F49-04A881E19093.jpeg
3 grand from APR. Weight is just over 6 lb 10 oz. Weight does not include suppressor, scope, rings, and brake/suppressor adaptor. 20" barrel.5C002E65-6507-4572-9289-4A1089BE7E77.jpeg

Last edited:

jimh406

WKR
I think it depends on how you plan to use the rifle.

What purpose?

What range?

What caliber?

Do you reload?

Just the rifle, or rifle and scope?

SwiftShot

WKR
Get exactly what you want. If a factory rifle doesnt fit go custom. I have factory rifles I love but I also have a few customs that are awesome. Have way too many rifles and I bow hunt everything.

If you are chasing weight why spend $3k, when you can spend $1800 for the same weight? I know you might want some features not offered between BRAND W and BRAND X.
If you are worried about a horrible gunsmith then you best ask those questions. Not to mention the wait time.
Good luck.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I had a Tikka customized by Kampfeld Customs and I don't regret a single penny invested, it came out exactly how I wanted and was instantly the most precise rifle I had ever shot. Mine is wearing a Mesa stock and Bartlein #3 tube, rifle is 8lbs 5.5oz scoped with empty mag, 9lbs 2 oz with bipod. Now that I own an AG alpine hunter I would suggest going that route with the straight comb instead of the Mesa. The cost of customizing the steel would be even or close if you were absolutely stuck on carbon. So not including original Tikka purchase but including tax and shipping for everything was just under $2,100.

Labor cost for chamber/fit, thread/brake/protector, spiral flute bolt, straight flute barrel, cerakote flutes and barreled action, assemble, shipped in hard case - $882 (this was Sept 2021 and I just checked he hasn't raised prices). Kampfeld builds great rifles, outside of prefits from barrel mfgs he will have my business every time.

Rifle and first group shot with break in load.
20211018_073009.jpg20211016_172300.jpg

OP
U

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Has to be pretty close?
For a steel barrel? Order stainless and you don't need cerakote
You’re right I was pricing it with a carbon prefit
I would go with the semi custom.

A good quality barrel is the biggest factor in the rifles ability to shoot. Who knows what you get with a factory gun.

I’m curious what difference a locking bolt makes?
I’ve always used locking bolt rifles but was open to a non locking bolt. I posted a thread asking for opinions on it. There were enough people that had instances where their bolt came open causing them to lose shells or the gun not to fire.
I think it depends on how you plan to use the rifle.

What purpose?

What range?

What caliber?

Do you reload?

Just the rifle, or rifle and scope?
Here’s some more details that may help:
Primarily elk and mule deer hunting in the mountains
0-400 yards shots, for now
280ai
I don’t currently reload but have in the past and will start again if factory ammo isn’t accurate enough
$3k for just the rifle, have a separate budget for the scope
I’d like the rifle to weigh 7lbs or less
22” barrel with the ability to add a suppressor
Vertical pistol grip stock with higher comb
Locking bolt

OP
U

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
If you are chasing weight why spend $3k, when you can spend $1800 for the same weight? I know you might want some features not offered between BRAND W and BRAND X.
If you are worried about a horrible gunsmith then you best ask those questions. Not to mention the wait time.
Good luck.
Im chasing a set of features rather than just weight. My main thought is everything I want in the rifle so Im not replacing it in the future. Great point on the wait time that’s also something to consider.
My Fierce has a 2 position safety and a locking bolt
Is it a Rival? I’ll call Fierce to find out but the advertisements and reviews I read all said the bolt isn’t locked on safe.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Tikka customized by Kampfeld Customs and I don't regret a single penny invested, it came out exactly how I wanted and was instantly the most precise rifle I had ever shot. Mine is wearing a Mesa stock and Bartlein #3 tube, rifle is 8lbs 5.5oz scoped with empty mag, 9lbs 2 oz with bipod. Now that I own an AG alpine hunter I would suggest going that route with the straight comb instead of the Mesa. The cost of customizing the steel would be even or close if you were absolutely stuck on carbon. So not including original Tikka purchase but including tax and shipping for everything was just under $2,100.

Labor cost for chamber/fit, thread/brake/protector, spiral flute bolt, straight flute barrel, cerakote flutes and barreled action, assemble, shipped in hard case - $882 (this was Sept 2021 and I just checked he hasn't raised prices). Kampfeld builds great rifles, outside of prefits from barrel mfgs he will have my business every time.

Rifle and first group shot with break in load.
View attachment 488450View attachment 488451
280? Sweet rig and that group! I had a bolt fluted by Karl and it was immaculate.