High Country Lakes/Water?

It's been a pretty dry year (at least my lawn thinks so) and I'm now starting to get some miles in scouting a new-ish unit to me here in CO. I'll be hunting muzzleloader in September. Rather be chasing them with a bow, but my shoulder had other plans, but is on the mend and should be good to go for 2025.

Given that it's been a drier year, how important are water sources in the high country? I'm seeing a couple of alpine lakes right at timberline that look attractive from a fishing standpoint, but I'm wondering if these will hold deer come September.

Probably, though I don’t think big bucks will just come to water in that country. Now the AZ strip and true desert is a different matter.

I bet there are a number of super small springs or something that they prefer to drink from. I think that they prefer running/moving/fresh water if available

huntnful

WKR
I would put zero emphasis on high country lakes. If it's that dry, there won't be much good feed there either. I'd just focus on good green feeding features. Bucks will figure the water out. I've never seen one drink from a high country lake. Not that it's never happened, I just don't think they go hand in hand.

Lakes and water sources make excellent camp spots for other hunters as well. Especially guys that don’t scout a large water source that they know will be there I would think would have competition.

High country deer definitely drink from alpine lakes, I see it all the time. What I would not count on is a particular deer drinking from it daily or in any sort of pattern due to the amount of water that is typically available in the high mountains. The only way I would set up at a lake like that would be if it also had a great view of the surrounding area to glass.

OP
C
Appreciate all the insights. After this weekend's scouting, I can confirm that there is water just about everywhere in the unit I'm going to be hunting. What looks like a minor creek or drainage is a flowing river in most cases. Lots of assumptions were broken by just getting up there and looking around.

Still putting the puzzle pieces together...

Poser

WKR
High country deer definitely drink from alpine lakes, I see it all the time. What I would not count on is a particular deer drinking from it daily or in any sort of pattern due to the amount of water that is typically available in the high mountains. The only way I would set up at a lake like that would be if it also had a great view of the surrounding area to glass.
Interesting. I've never once seen a mule deer drink from an alpine lake. I've seen them bed in the willow overlooking the lake and drink from the feeder creek, though.

Interesting. I've never once seen a mule deer drink from an alpine lake. I've seen them bed in the willow overlooking the lake and drink from the feeder creek, though.

Usually occurs during lowlights hours or at night. I may be one of the few people awake at alpine lakes during those times due to my borderline unhealthy obsession with fishing the high country.

One year I saw 3 bucks drinking from a large mountain lake midday while I was in a boat. I went back a few weeks later and killed one of them on the mountain directly above where I saw them drinking. That was in October and the lake was between 9 and 10k so maybe not quite considered alpine.

IDVortex

WKR
Only time I've seen dear come to high mountain lakes to drink was at night. Like others have said, other hunters will be looking at lakes as well.