Hi From Ireland

Hi, Just joined the site form South East of Ireland, I'm an ex-military Armorer and into bird, fox and deer hunting, target shooting. Looking forward to discussing and reading articles here!
Thanks!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Welcome to Rokslide. Beautiful country you have there, friendly people. From my short visit there, I was told most of your hunting is limited to hunting clubs, is that right?

mparks270

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome! Visited Ireland in 2015. We travelled to Kinsale to play Old Head. Gorgeous country for sure. Saw a few tiny deer and huge rabbits but not much other wildlife on the trip.

OP
D
Welcome to Rokslide. Beautiful country you have there, friendly people. From my short visit there, I was told most of your hunting is limited to hunting clubs, is that right?
Thanks! Yeah its nice here, where did you visit? yeah if you're in a hunting club it's definitely easier to get firearms licences (im in two clubs) but you can own a rifle/shotgun for vermin control if you own land or have landowners permission (there's no public land over here). Then there's a good few target clubs for the likes of PRS and other target shooting disciplines. full bore pistols were grandfathered in 2008 so can only have .22lr pistols/revolvers with a mag capacity of 5 rounds which sucks and centrefire semi autos are restricted at the moment and quite difficult to get licenced for. You need to have a reason for each firearm and apply to the local police dept for approval.
For deer hunting its straightforward enough, you apply to the national wildlife dept for a licence annually where you give details of your suitable gun licence (.243 and above) and shoot on land where landowners have deer problems or can apply to the national forestry organisation to hunt on their land but you have to bid on each plot annually so can become quite expensive.

OP
D
Welcome! Visited Ireland in 2015. We travelled to Kinsale to play Old Head. Gorgeous country for sure. Saw a few tiny deer and huge rabbits but not much other wildlife on the trip.
Hope you enjoyed your time here! Kinsale is a nice spot! I was stateside a few times just the typical tourist places, New York, Chicago and Florida all really cool places. Loved seeing Outdoor World...couldn't believe the scale of it....Would love to go somewhere else that isn't so touristy to get a feel for the place. Yeah we have 4 species of deer here, Red, Sika, Fallow and Muntjac (although quite rare).

GSPHUNTER

WKR
We did the tourist tour. Started in Dublin from there down the coast to Kilmore Quay, Cork, Blarney, and yes I did kiss the Blarney Stone, damn near broke my neck doing so. Not to mention the narrow stairway leading to the stone. From there we made our way to, Killarney, limerick, Galway, Tullamore, with several stops along the way, and back to Dublin. Everyone but me consuming copious amounts of beer and whiskey. I had stopped drinking by then so, when we were given free samples, I passed my drinks around to my wife and friends.

OP
D
We did the tourist tour. Started in Dublin from there down the coast to Kilmore Quay, Cork, Blarney, and yes I did kiss the Blarney Stone, damn near broke my neck doing so. Not to mention the narrow stairway leading to the stone. From there we made our way to, Killarney, limerick, Galway, Tullamore, with several stops along the way, and back to Dublin. Everyone but me consuming copious amounts of beer and whiskey. I had stopped drinking by then so, when we were given free samples, I passed my drinks around to my wife and friends.
Nice one you got to see alot on your visit!

f16jack

WKR
Welcome. Come see the area around Bozeman, Jackson and Yellowstone for a taste of the American west. Cody Wyoming is also a great hunting oriented community.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

OP
D
welcome!
share your hutting experience with us!
First introduction to hunting was crow and pigeon shooting with my uncle at 12 and went off as much as I could with him, didn't get my own gun until I was 17, a second hand Lanber 12ga semi auto (great gun) for ducks and pheasants and a few years later got my first rifle for foxes, a marlin X7 in .223 although sadly both guns have been swapped out since, from there picked up a Ruger 10/22 for rabbit control and then a Ruger American in .308 for deer in 2019. My deer land permissions mainly consist of Fallow but with one small farm that has the occasional red/sika/hybrid herd wandering through.

OP
D
Welcome. Come see the area around Bozeman, Jackson and Yellowstone for a taste of the American west. Cody Wyoming is also a great hunting oriented community.
Okay thanks for that, will definitely try and get out to those next time i'm over!