Hex Plug CVA Optima Powders

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
I bought an older (2006) CVA Optima this spring for my first BP rifle and finally got it all cleaned up. The firing pin was froze up and I got it drilled out and replaced today so I think I’m ready to shoot.

I had bought two bottles of BH209 over the summer but after some more reading it doesn’t sound like the BH209 is reliable with the old hex breech plugs without some machining work.

Any advice on next steps? Sell the BH209 and grab some 777 or Pyrodex? Buy a V2 when one goes on sale to shoot the BH209? I’ll probably just hunt whitetails a couple weekends a year so not a heavy use rifle. I’ve already missed this year so I have some time to figure it out.

Michael54

WKR
I bought an older (2006) CVA Optima this spring for my first BP rifle and finally got it all cleaned up. The firing pin was froze up and I got it drilled out and replaced today so I think I’m ready to shoot.

I had bought two bottles of BH209 over the summer but after some more reading it doesn’t sound like the BH209 is reliable with the old hex breech plugs without some machining work.

Any advice on next steps? Sell the BH209 and grab some 777 or Pyrodex? Buy a V2 when one goes on sale to shoot the BH209? I’ll probably just hunt whitetails a couple weekends a year so not a heavy use rifle. I’ve already missed this year so I have some time to figure it out.
Pretty sure cva sells a bh209 breech plug. I bought one for my wifes wolf with no issues...

OP
B

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty sure cva sells a bh209 breech plug. I bought one for my wifes wolf with no issues...

I believe that is only for the new post 2009 QRBP models. Mine is a 2006 with the old style hex plug breech plug. I’ve seen older mentions of gunsmiths machining the old plugs to be reliable with BH209 but have not found a commercial option. If you have an option for the older rifles I’d love to know; as of know I think I’m selling my BH209 to a buddy and going Pyrodex/777.