Herd bull is dead, how does my tactic need to change?

I hunt with a small group of guys on private land in E. WA. This year on the property there are a lot of 1-3 year old elk. We have game camera photos of only one large bull. He was the herd bull of the largest group of adult elk. He was killed by one of our party today and I will be heading out tomorrow. I am happy to fill my tag with one of the smaller elk but I would rather put a bit more meat in freezer with a large cow. Tomorrow we will also be seeing a 20 degree temperature drop from today, 76 down to 56. I am hoping this will make them more active all day. They were bedded up before first light all weekend just north of the property we hunt (the property is the top of a plateau and the southern face. The north face is other private land).

Marble

WKR
They will probably be doing the same thing they have been doing. But they may avoid the area where the Bull was killed for a few days.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I was out in your area yesterday and had 2 bulls popping off at daylight. Their behavior told me they had cows and were content holding vs trying to gain cows.....so, if you have any unbred cows in the area, your play is to keep snug on the herd and catch him or potentially a straggling bull slipping up. Calling young bulls off the herd is tough. You can try calf calls in hopes of pulling a cow....but if you slip up the gig is over. I'd personally dog the herd.

OP
C
I was out in your area yesterday and had 2 bulls popping off at daylight. Their behavior told me they had cows and were content holding vs trying to gain cows.....so, if you have any unbred cows in the area, your play is to keep snug on the herd and catch him or potentially a straggling bull slipping up. Calling young bulls off the herd is tough. You can try calf calls in hopes of pulling a cow....but if you slip up the gig is over. I'd personally dog the herd.
Thanks Wrench. Our bulls stopped at first light yesterday. Made it real tough to find them. My stepdad got a spike yesterday that he about stepped on in the thicket. 20 yards with a muzzleloader. Dogging the herd is what I was leaning towards. This is only my 3rd year hunting. Last year was a disastrously bad year for me, one mistake after another.

Wrench

WKR
Pay SERIOUS attention to the wind habits in your area. Elevation changes induce thermals at pretty consistent times....these keep elk alive.

OP
C
Pay SERIOUS attention to the wind habits in your area. Elevation changes induce thermals at pretty consistent times....these keep elk alive.
Unfortunately if it is a lightly windy day they swirl on the plateau.

If you have a surplus of little bulls to take his place, you may not find much change. However, I have seen the cows leave to find another bull. Then the search is on. The dynamics can get way out of control. You may find it will change the rules of the game for a number pf years.

OP
C
Thanks every one for the input. It is really hard to say what exactly happened with the herd for the last few days of the early season. The rut was probably just over the week before. There was a bit of success with calling in some spikes as well. There are 5 of us that hunt the property and we ended up having 4 bulls down in 4 days. 3 being spikes. So either the pressure drove off the herd or they did indeed got find another bull.

I did some serious scouting of the southern faces trying to figure out how to get into some of their preferred late season bedding areas undetected. Modern rifle would be no issue as there are some good spots you can stay over 300 yards out with great cover. ML with irons is another story.

Again, I really appreciate the input from seasoned hunters. I have a lot to learn still.