Hercules...Hercules....Hercules!!!!

Ucsdryder

WKR
I consider myself a pretty strong and in shape guy, but every time I see a post on here someone is carrying 120-150 pounds on their back for 5+ miles! I hauled a bull by myself this year, 3 trips and 2 of the loads were 100+ (weighed at processor). The 2 100 pound loads were so heavy I couldn't get the pack on my back from the ground and had to balance them on a down tree. It was miostly down hill and it still took me 2 days to get all 3 loads out. I couldn't imagine going the 5+ miles back and forth with an additional 50% more weight. So cheers to all the Hercules on this site!

kodiakfly

WKR
I'll say two things. First, I'm in the same boat...I'm a fat guy, but I'm a big weight lifter, strong and consider myself in shape. That said, I've got friends who can just whip my ass when it comes to 1)mountain speed and 2) what it seems like they can carry.

Second, don't believe everything you read on the internet. I've seen firsthand a guy carry "over 125 lbs..." and I hoisted it with moderate effort...I'd guess 75 tops.

One last thing, for me at least, is age. I have done the 100+ loads of moose for miles and miles...those days for me are over. I REALLY like to keep it 80 or below these days.

LBES

FNG
I think the key thing is to stay within a range that's comfortable for you. Everyone trains differently and when it comes down to it, the long heavy packs are mostly all mental. It's temping to add 10,20, or 30% more weight than 'normal' in the heat of the moment to get meat out. But that's how injuries happen, and lthe larger load could actually make the trip out longer and leave you exhausted for the remaining days of your hunt... Also, consider the terrain and weather. Training with 80 lbs in your cul-de-sac is good, but no substitute for 'real' conditions. My first load out this year was in a sideways rain storm, up hill, in the dark, off trail, through dense timber and brush. It was, ummm, memorable... the kicker of it all is that the shooter has horses - at home. :rolleyes:

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll agree with kodiak; what it felt like it weighed and what it actually weighed are quite often two entirely different things. From my experience, taking time to lash the load properly helps almost as much as a good pack.

To really humble yourself, try to keep up with the packers that work for a guide every season. The guides are in great shape too but the dudes they fly in specifically to haul out meat, whole other level. They know the Cub better not have to wait for meat at the strip and can flat put out.

This story of mine from a recent hunt will help you make sense of most posts on the social media sites:

"6 yrs ago, I and another hunter drug a 600 lb Spike elk out of wind fall at 20,500 elevation for just about 2 miles and it took over 3 hrs."

Ok now You just need to use Social media interpretation App:
Not many know of it so here is the App for you sliders.......

www.socialmediainterpretationapp.com

If you click on this link to the app, and copy and past my spike elk story in you will get the real data.
I did it for you and here is how it interprets it-

"3 yrs ago, I and another hunter drug a 300 lb Spike elk out of wind fall at 10,500 elevation for just under a mile and it took about an hour and a half"

This App simply divides the facts by 2 and creates a virtual reality of truth for readers....
Now we can go back to telling our great stories and puffing out our chests an every one knows what actually happened.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I find the pack-in weight discussions equally amusing, especially when it is the same guy.

-Pack-in weight, you're an idiot if you're above 40 lbs.

-Pack-out weight, beastmode requires you packing 150+ each load, even if your load count at 150 lbs exceeds the animals total live weight. Pack rocks out if you must but we don't pack under 150.

bcimport

WKR
I just smile when I read some of the epic pack out stories. I've packed enough meat out of the mountains, over downfall, fallen down and needed help to get up enough to know that just like in fishing stories pack out stories seem to be embellished. I for one am not risking personal injury that will end or limit my hunting career early hauling super heavy. More than once I've loaded my pack with what I bought was a reasonable load, put it on and taken a few steps only to sit back down and pull some weight out (ego writing checks my legs and back can't cash). I often suspect a lot of good meat gets left on the hill when guys claim they got it all in one trip.

flyinsquirel

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I hear ya Ucsdryder. 150lbs in my pack? Hell, I could carry that at least 75-80 yards. I truly believe there are people out there that could do those kind of distances though. I'm just not one of them. I can't even imagine carrying 150lbs for 5 miles. My knees hurt just thinking about it.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I see I'm not the only one that shakes my head at these stories. Two years ago I got a cow out in 2 trips. It was my first solo elk breakdown and I didn't realize how much neck meat I left behind. This year I broke down the bull and I must have got another 30lbs of neck meat. I was amazed how much meat there was. I too think a lot of "extra" meat gets left behind. I wish Colorado had a more strict requirement for packing out meat.

woods89

WKR
I find the pack-in weight discussions equally amusing, especially when it is the same guy.

-Pack-in weight, you're an idiot if you're above 40 lbs.

-Pack-out weight, beastmode requires you packing 150+ each load, even if your load count at 150 lbs exceeds the animals total live weight. Pack rocks out if you must but we don't pack under 150.

Now that's funny.........

JP100

WKR
Packing heavy loads is an art. Not many people can really do it well. There are people (I've worked with one) that can legitimately Cary huge weights. It has very little do with gym strength and size. I don't know how it works but it's a whole different skill set. Look at porters in Asia and you will see some crazy shit

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

JP100

WKR
5ae7c44225dcaa3109f88d027bc16471.jpg

dcc0326e569531c5b5cbc8d1b4b5f0ef.jpg

e02ad69fb35bfa9c9cb120b8c5d6c8f8.jpg

131cf577fc182a144301c2021c2348e3.jpg

Here's some real Hercules for ya haha.
Not my photos but from a local hunting page. Pigs quoted at 270 and 297 pounds.
I've seen it done. I can't do it that's for sure haha

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed JP, some guys just can. It isn't necessarily just bigger guys either. Those packers I was referring to earlier are smaller stature 5'6"-5'8" 150-160 lbs but just MONSTERS at carrying weight.

There are also some guys that hike unladen at the same speed as they do fully dressed packing out meat. Our saying is they're the diesels. My bro in law stomps me bad for speed with packs under 60, he's the V6. All RPM, less torque. I despise when we don't kill because I feel like I never get a chance to shine on the hike. North of 90 lbs is primetime for me.

Oh and 270/290 lbs, good Lord. Nope, not unless it was to save a life.

tuffcity

WKR
I know that for me packing out heavy is very much a mental game. I don't pack stupid weight often enough to be "comfortable" at it. My last big pack out was a couple of years ago (my wife's mtn goat) and I grossly underestimated what I thought was in my pack... plus I did not want to make another trip back in. When I couldn't get up off the ground with my pack on ( I had to get my wife to push me up right) I should have known.

It was 10 km (6 miles) down to the lake and at 51 yrs old I was pretty happy it was only my hips that really protested. When I got to the point of setting goals of so many steps til I let myself rest - usually 50, then 30-I bought in to tenacity instead of despair. :) Out of curiosity I weighed what I packed out once I got home and it was a bit over 150 lbs, and that was after the full body cape had been salted and drained for 2 days while we waited for the plane. It wasn't fun but I'm always amazed what a person can do if you have the will. FWIW, I'm in not bad day to day physical condition but my hunt "training" (despite the usual good intentions) usually consists of getting out of the float plane and putting on my pack. This type of training regime does not, in any way, contribute to an enjoyable pack out of dead things!

RC.... you'd think I'd have learned that by now :)