Helping Aspens Grow

treillw

WKR
I have some aspen groves on my property and I'd like them to grow.

Some of them are very small with the largest ones being about 3" in diameter and say 15' or 20' tall. There are some lodgepoles intermixed with the aspens.

I'd think it would be a good idea to cut out the lodgepoles to eliminate competition.

Any other tips on how I can help them grow a little faster than they might on their own?

Thanks!

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
In the bottom of a valley in the mountains, 5400', Montana. Things stay pretty green - definitely much more so than a couple miles down the road.

Here are a couple links that might provide some insight for you. Read through this information and see what fits your goals and current aspen stand situation. Removing pine competition may be beneficial but it also reduces the diversity of your stand and possibly its value as habitat for some critters.

Aspen Silvics Paper

Aspen Info

Gather as much info as you can synthesize before cutting things down because they are hard to put back up. But certainly don't be afraid to implement some activities to manage your resources to meet your goals. Toward that end you may find some low cost (even free) management advice from local agency foresters and wildlife biologists.

JeffP_Or

WKR
One of the largest contiguous aspen groves is in south central Oregon in the Fremont-Winema NF; the forest service, state foresters and ODFW survey and monitor it almost annually. They consistently thin out the lodgepole and juniper that encroach into the thicker stands. Elevation of about 6000-6500 ft.; good consistent water.
I should add the OHA and foresters also build pole fences around the smaller groves to encourage growth and keep the cattle out.