Help with Scope Selection

TEmbry

WKR
So I am a complete newb when it comes to rifles... Shot one for the first time this fall in almost a decade (bow hunter at heart)...

That said I just picked up a Tikka T3 Lite SS .30-06. I will be moving to Alaska in a few months and wanted a nice, relatively light mountain rifle to use on certain hunts. Given my shooting abilities 4-500 yards would be a LONG poke for me. 90% of my hunts will still be bow hunts... But in scenarios where I eat a tag after an unsuccessful archery hunt, I don't mind at all returning for a rifle hunt (did this exact thing for WY Antelope and MT Mule Deer this fall).

Starting from scratch here, with an absolute max budget of $5-600... I plan to shoot Federal Premium 165 grn bullets. What zoom best fits my needs, 2.5-10? 4-16? Capped Turrets or exposed turrets with the possibility for custom turrets for my load of choice? What about rings/scope mounts?

Currently looking at Vortex Viper scopes as I have had great success with all vortex products to date... But there are honestly too many choices. Anyone have any suggestions or friendly pointers to help me get started into the world of rifle hunting?

weaver

WKR
I put a vortex viper 3-9x40 on my dads 30.06 and really like it. My max range is also around 500yds.
I have killed elk out to 475yds without a problem. At that range I wouldn't bother with exposed turrets. I still remove the caps and dial in the range if past 350yds or so but I rarely shoot that far at game. You can also use the marks on the reticle for extended ranges.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I would go with a 4.5-14x40 VX3 for your setup. Or even a 3-9x40 Leupold.

IMO the Leupold is better than the Vortex Viper and it's lighter.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Agree with Justin for that rifle and what you want to do with it. VX-2 3-9X40 for $300 or less is plenty for everything I have hunted in Alaska at the ranges I hunt (never killed anything beyond 400 yards, but still manage to kill stuff despite that "limitation" :) )

I would go with either a 3.5-10X40 VX-3 or a VX-2 3-9X40.....I like large FOV for quick target acquisition and being as you aren't planning to hunt long range its hard to beat a good 3-9X40 IMO.

That said I have a Vortex HS 2.5-10X44 on my 325 WSM and the FOV is awesome certainly and used it to kill a few critters this fall with that as well.

IMO no need to spend $500+ on a rifle scope for what you are looking to do with it. Don't over think it. Save the money for air taxis and getting access to your hunting locales. ;)

OP
TEmbry

TEmbry

WKR
IMO no need to spend $500+ on a rifle scope for what you are looking to do with it. Don't over think it.

Music to my ears... I'm wanting to stay around $3-400 but could stretch it further if I was convinced. I'll definitely check out the Leupolds. Any recommendations on types of sight rings/mounts for this setup assuming I use a 3-9x40 setup?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
For that scope, I would either use the factory rings or Talley rings.

Some guys don't like the factory rings but I have never had an issue with them and still use them on a couple of my Tikkas with smaller scopes. If you're worried about them, the Talleys will work perfect for you.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The setup being hashed about will serve you well to that 550/600.........yd mark........I had the custom shop use my ballistics a few years back and got the ballistic dots to my match my range distance at 220/330/440/550........I've thought about changing my vx2 but I really have no reason for the range I am using it for and it has never failed me.......good value for your money, a custom shop to make mods and a very good scope. Good luck on your decision.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
On a mountain gun, I go capped turrets and probably a leupold vx3 4.5-14. Vortex is not in the same class as zeiss or leupold. Good warranty, but that is as far as it goes IMO. Unless you get their razor series, which are good scopes, but expensive and heavy.

Trevor, stay away from Vortex for a mountain gun, those Vipers are HUGE!

If I had my dithers I would go with a VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS or with the B&C reticle. If I didn't want to hit the $500 mark I would go with a VX-2 4-12x40 with the LR reticle.

Give me a call if you want to BS on scopes.

weaver

WKR
What makes Leopold better than the Vortex?
To this point I've just used my dads gun because I don't rifle hunt all that much.
Would like to get my own setup this year and assumed I'd put a vortex on it.
If leupys are better than that's what I'm rolling with.

WRO

WKR
To this point I've just used my dads gun because I don't rifle hunt all that much.

They've been around for ever, just as good as warranty, and they are bullet proof.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
This is my OPINION.

I've owned and used both Vortex and Leupold scopes. Side by side, I think the Leupold glass is superior. The Leupold scopes are lighter. The Vortex has a "tunel" effect when looking through it. (A lot of black around the inside of the scope )

opinions are like AH's and yes most stink, but still say a Ford truck will get you there better than most. Oh wait this is about scopes..leupold for sure cause that is just about all I own and have experience with...wish someone would start a 30-06/ 270 argument.....hey y'all have a happy holiday no matter what you celebrate.....

Mtnboy

WKR
I gotta agree that most of what Vortex offers is overkill for that application.

I made a similar decision myself earlier this year and I went with a Zeiss Terra 4-12x40mm with Ballistic Drop reticle. I used a Cabelas coupon and a mail in rebate and got it for under $300

My Tikka T3 270wsm is right at 7lb 4oz with the Terra Scope and Talley rings. You could probably save 2-3oz by going with a Leupold, I just wanted to try something different as I already have another 270wsm with a 40mm Leaupold.

I'd hit up 16bore on here and get some of the modified Talleys that he makes if I had it to do over again (still might change out to them this Spring)

The VX3 2.5-8x36 should be near the top of the discussion for a mountain rifle at those yardages.. maybe with a ballistic reticle instead of a dial. A bit less weight, but a lot more sleek and compact I think. Might have to spin the front talley around on a long action to accommodate the shorter tube.

OP
TEmbry

TEmbry

WKR
Thanks for the help guys... I've settled on a Leupold VX-2 3x9x40 with the LR reticle. Realistically I won't be shooting much past 300 yards... hard to justify $150 for 12x vs 9x on the exact same scope... Now to get some fixed rings from Talley or the likes and I'll be set to get this barrel broken in and scope dialed in.