Help with mystery ranch packs

Ghanson4

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking to get a do-all western hunting pack. Right now I’m looking at mystery ranch packs in the $500-$550 range. Not sure which of their packs would be best and thanks for the help.

Scwoody1

FNG
Just had the sawtooth show up at my door a couple days ago, and I’m really liking the lay out. Love the how easy the bag separates from the frame now. This is my first mystery ranch pack, or any high end pack for that matter.. Haven’t had time to put weight in it yet, so I can’t comment on how it feels loaded down.

I haven’t seen the new beartooth but the Metcalf would be my choice for most hunts. As long as you don’t backpack hunt late season or longer than 7 days away from the truck I would say it’s the gold standard from MR.

I’m thinking of backpack hunting, hence the Beartooth. Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

Ghanson4

Lil-Rokslider
Also considering the Marshall if anyone has any thoughts on it.

bcimport

WKR
The Marshall is a great bag with a more traditional layout. I’ve have one (6500 same thing more or less) that I use for big trips. It does compress well but it’s bigger than I would want to use 70% of the time.

vthokee

WKR
I just received their Selway. It’s a 3700 cubic inch pack that I have loaded all my gear in for a backcountry hunt. Only thing missing is food and water and I still have plenty of room. If you are unsure I would go with either the Metcalf or the beartooth. For me the Selway fit the bill for 2-4 nights or just a day pack.

B-ski

FNG
I just bought a Metcalf and I really like it. Haven't had it on a hunt yet, but have testing it out. I think that a man could stay out for 7 days with this pack for sure.

Just spent two days with the Beartooth 80 on a shed hunt. Ample room for 3-5 days. For my two day/night shed hunt I was at 23lbs without water mid 30 lbs with water and camera gear. Carried the weight really well. Put about 34 miles in and I have no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Marshal is a monster of a pack. Unless you are a heavy packer or going for a long long hunt it might be too much bag.

The Metcalf is their best selling hunting pack and the one you hear a lot about for 2-5 day hunts. You can add some pockets or use the shelf to stretch it out longer. The beartooth is the new pack in that class. A bit bigger and some added features but around the same capacity which means it will probably function reasonably well as a daypack like the Metcalf.

If I were buying an MR pack for multiday hunts today I would go for a beartooth or a Metcalf on a guidelight frame which are going on sale with greater frequency because of both the beartooth and the new frame that drops next year.

The Marshal is a monster of a pack. Unless you are a heavy packer or going for a long long hunt it might be too much bag.

The Metcalf is their best selling hunting pack and the one you hear a lot about for 2-5 day hunts. You can add some pockets or use the shelf to stretch it out longer. The beartooth is the new pack in that class. A bit bigger and some added features but around the same capacity which means it will probably function reasonably well as a daypack like the Metcalf.

If I were buying an MR pack for multiday hunts today I would go for a beartooth or a Metcalf on a guidelight frame which are going on sale with greater frequency because of both the beartooth and the new frame that drops next year.

What new frame is coming out? Will all their current packs attach to the new frame. I'm thinking about getting a MR pack.

Does anyone know if mystery ranch plans on releasing more bag only options? Not being able to just buy the bags only is kind of making me lean towards kifaru. I like that you can just buy one frame and have a few different packs. And as new packs are designed just buy them and try them on your existing frame.

Bcaulder

WKR
What new frame is coming out? Will all their current packs attach to the new frame. I'm thinking about getting a MR pack.

Does anyone know if mystery ranch plans on releasing more bag only options? Not being able to just buy the bags only is kind of making me lean towards kifaru. I like that you can just buy one frame and have a few different packs. And as new packs are designed just buy them and try them on your existing frame.
I know the pintler and mule come bag only, jyt do anothers. I saw on the MR QA that there are no plans for the Beartooth, Sawtooth, or Selway to be bag only. I was 90% set on the Selway, but now I am reconsidering...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jeffp

FNG
I am very pleased with my Pintler. Used it last season as a day pack but it could be used for a 1-2 day overnighter. Loved the way it hauled meat