Help with Future Elk Hunt Planning (Tribal)

moosebait

FNG
Hey All,

I’m laying out my next 5-10yr plan for elk hunts and trying to get some intel related to hunting Native/tribal land for elk in the west. I am Native myself and I know that opens up some doors for me and was just curious if anyone would be willing to share (DM or post) some places that I should check out. I live in Colorado, so I am interested in any of the western states. Thanks in advance!

OP
M

moosebait

FNG
Felt I should clarify a bit of what I'd love out of a hunt...I forgot that I don't post a lot here. I'm really looking for hunt quality over animal quality (although animal quality is a bonus). I primarily hunt OTC archery in Colorado, and love calling in bulls.

-Mature bulls, good numbers and action, doesn't need to have giants
-Would love DIY opportunities (camping and having family or a buddy to help call) versus having to use an outfitter (not sure if this can be done on the reservation)
-Not looking to pay the big dollar fees to head hunt

Northpark

WKR
San Carlos Apache would be near the top of my list. I live just off the reservation and I see the bulls they kill.😳

Mojave

WKR
In most cases you are going to have to be a tribal member to make those hunts happen.

OP
M

moosebait

FNG
In most cases you are going to have to be a tribal member to make those hunts happen.
Agree - in the little bit of research I've done, I know that some of these hunts have draw allocations or license costs for a "non-resident" tribal member. Would be curious to hear some experiences from fellow Roksliders as I'm sure I'm not the only one here that falls into this camp.

Mojave

WKR
I honestly live within 80 miles of the Jicarilla and other than a few tribal members, I rarely meet younger guys that hunt.

Mojave

WKR
You could always call the Jicarilla, Mescalero, White Mountain, Acoma and other reservation fish and game departments and ask what they think.

OP
M

moosebait

FNG
You could always call the Jicarilla, Mescalero, White Mountain, Acoma and other reservation fish and game departments and ask what they think.
That’s my next step for sure - wanted to get the right leads.