Help with Arrow Selection

cmeier117

WKR
Okay I am hopefully going to be getting a new bow in a few months and am trying to figure out what arrows I am going to shoot? I was going to try and shoot some VAP with their SS inserts but the price and iffy reviews have me thinking I am going to get some Gold Tip Kinetics. My question is what spine and I have questions between the Kinetic XT & Kinetic Hunters?

I obviously don't have my bow yet but most likely it will be a Athens afliction with 80 lb limbs and my draw length is 29 inches. I plan on shooting 150 grain VPA heads. I want my arrow as short as I can get them but I am guessing with my current rest I will have the arrows be 28.5-29 inches long.

My main 2 questions are this:
1.) Do I need the big game 200's with this poundage and putting a 150 grain head up front?
2.) Are the XT's going to be that much more accurate than the Hunter's? Something to consider is the price between the 4 options, although I want to correct arrow so if I need the 200's I will get the XT's hands down.
3.) Price- 300 XT'S = $ 108/dozen (bare shafts)
200 XT'S = $ 138/dozen
300 Hunters = $ 58/dozen
200 Hunters = $ 108/dozen

These prices are taken off of gold tips arrow building site, if I were to just have them cut them for me, I haven't checked my proshop yet but my thought is I will have them cut and I will buy a bitzenberger and fletch my own, I wanted to start doing this anyways.

Any advice is great, and obviously I am going to wait till I have my bow to get my arrows ready just trying to plan ahead and figure out what a "new" bow is going to really cost me? Right now I am thinking of just doing the 200 xt's and being done with it.

Craig4791

WKR
When I get home later I can run some numbers for you. I am guessing you going to need the 200 though. What do you expect your finished arrow weight to be?

shaun

WKR
I would definatly use the 200's with that weight. if I remember right 200's are just over 11GPI but I am not certain

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Playing around with Gold tips arrow building feature of their website (which is really fun btw) I am guessing depending on what vanes I go with and if I do a wrap or not I will be in the 540-555 range, that is without glue and I do not know how much weight that adds. That is with a 28.5-29 inch arrow carbon to carbon.

shaun

WKR
I am running a FMJ 300 out of my turbo with a finished weight of 502grains at 29" but I am running 100g tips not 150 so you are right there with the 50g heavier tip

You can order single arrows on lancaster archery just in case you wanted to get a few and try them out without buying a dozen. Prob more expensive in the long run, but at least you know you are getting the right arrows after you have tested a few.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
It is looking more and more like I need the 200's, Do you think I could get away with the 300's if I only had a 125 grain broadhead? I doubt I would go that route but just curious. Based on back country calculator, worst case with a 555 grain arrow I should still be getting over 280 fps, which is what I want to stay above, The VPA's are not a real big cutting diameter so I could probably get away with a shorter arrow and have the arrow come back over the shelf, that would cut out some weight and stiffen the arrow up.

Craig4791

WKR
Srry about that Cmeier I forgot to run them. I can do it tonight.

I need the info for these items

Draw length
Draw weight
Brace height
Arrow length
Point weight
Insert weight
Nock weight
Fletch weight
Arrow wrap?
Cam design? 2 cam? Single?

I think that's it.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
29"
80lbs
6"
28" (this is carbon to carbon)
150 grains
24 grains
11.6 grains
20 grains
5 grains for wrap
dual cam hoyt spyder turbo

Thanks for doing this!

Craig4791

WKR
Your optimal spine with these numbers and the spyder turbo cams comes in at .2500

Based on this i would look at the Gold Tip big game 100's they run a .250 spine at 10.6 grains per inch and run 119.99 a dozen.

Patch

FNG
Cmeier, I switched from Gold Tip pro hunters, to Kinetics, and have seen my group shrink. So far I really enjoy shooting them. I haven't shot past 40 yards yet, but hope to get past that in the next week. I have shot Gold Tips since I started shooting, I try different shafts, but keep on going back to Gold Tip arrows. Have fun.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Thanks Craig! I will definetly look at the big game 200's in the kinetics and the big game 100's. What program did you use to calculate that?